Saint Mary's initiates new Cycling Club

With the Angela Athletic and Wellness Facility having recently opened its doors, new clubs are beginning to as well. One of these clubs is the Saint Mary’s Cycling Club.

Club president and junior Megan Hall said she is a certified instructor who has attended spin classes for over three years. She said she hopes the club provides an entertaining atmosphere for Saint Mary’s, Notre Dame and Holy Cross students — beyond the mid-day spin classes the College already offers.

“I think it’s important to have a club like this because the only real athletic club we have is yoga, and it gives girls another choice and option to exercise and be healthy,” Hall said. 

Hall said she wants members to feel welcomed and accepted while cycling. She said she will foster a comfortable environment in which participants feel empowered by keeping everyone in mind while planning a class and picking music.

“I use a wide range of music that includes sprint songs and hill songs to get that endurance and the strength,” she said. “If at first you cannot keep up with the choreography, you can just cycle to the beat — you don’t have to do the presses or the tap backs. Just keep the beat and then you can work your way up and eventually do the hills and the climbs.”

Vice president and junior Abbi Yucha said one of her primary goals is to unify everyone by bonding athletes, students and faculty members.

“We want to bring everybody together,” Yucha said. “I hope to bring staff and students together in a non-academic way.”

Hall said she and Yucha want the club to be a fun and fulfilling experience.

“[Cycling Club] is a dance party on a bike,” she said. “I hope all participants follow the mottos, ‘Find your inner athlete’ and ‘You get out what you put in.’”

The club is open to Notre Dame, Saint Mary’s and Holy Cross community members; you can join by emailing Hall at mhall01@saintmarys.edu and Yucha at ayucha01@saintmarys.edu