-

-

scene

A look at the best music from ‘Atlanta’s’ season 2

| Thursday, March 22, 2018

Dominique DeMoe | The Observer

Donald Glover’s popular comedy series “Atlanta” is praised not only for its realistic humor but also for its excellent soundtrack. The soundtrack represents the southern city’s unique rap scene with songs from the likes of Gucci Mane, Migos and 2 Chainz. The soundtrack, however, also sprinkles in lesser-known artists and tracks that are ideal for the show’s varied moods. Only three episodes have aired from “Atlanta’s” second season, yet the soundtrack thus far is worth looking at. Here are the best songs so far from the second season of “Atlanta”:

“Gap in the Clouds” by Yellow Days

This lo-fi track comes from the first teaser for season two and features the best work of the young indie artist George van den Broek, known as Yellow Days. “Gap in the Clouds” combines an airy beat with Broek’s raspy vocals to create a beautifully light and relaxed track. After only a few listens, it becomes hard to resist the urge to sing along with Broek as he navigates the song’s beat.

“The Race” by Tay-K

Taymor Travon McIntyre, or Tay-K, provides the lead song for the season’s first episode. At only 17 years old, McIntyre released “The Race,” on which he raps about his experience fleeing from authorities to avoid criminal charges over a bass heavy beat. The combination of a distressing subject matter and a trap beat works well on “The Race,” much like it does on other popular rap hits “Gucci Gang” by Lil Pump and “Rubbin Off the Paint” by YBN Nahmir.

“Coronus, The Terminator” by Flying Lotus

The experimental track “Coronus, The Terminator” comes from Steven Ellison, known as Flying Lotus, and appears on the season’s second episode “Sportin’ Waves.” The track captures the essence of Ellison’s strange production style, as it deftly blends a soothing chorus hymnal with a tranquil beat and some strange sounds. The song’s relaxed vibe fits perfectly with the “Atlanta” scene in which it appears and brings a lesser-known artist to a big audience.

“Czech One” by King Krule

Archy Marshall, using the stage name King Krule, lends his signature mellow music to the most recent episode of “Atlanta.” Marshall, a champion of the bedroom pop wave, goes simple on “Czech One” as his raw voice drones on over a minimal beat. A soft piano arrangement supplemented by a heavy saxophone makes the smooth song sound like something out of a swanky music lounge.

“Grey Luh” by Berhana

In the third episode of the second season, Glover’s character Earn rides through Atlanta in a taxi while Atlanta-native Amain Berhane, known as Berhana, sings his modern pop jam “Grey Luh” on the radio. The soulful love song features flashy lyricism and a wonderfully groovy Jamaican-inspired beat. Berhane builds the energy of the track with an upbeat chorus and then skillfully slows things down on an extended final verse.

“PRBLMS” by 6LACK

Ricardo Valentine, better known by his stage name 6LACK, provides the music for the strip club that Glover’s character and his companions visit in the season’s third episode. The contemporary rhythm and blues singer, born and based in Atlanta, delivers on “PRBLMS,” a dark and moody slow jam from his 2016 album “FREE 6LACK.” The track pulls together elements of hip hop and R&B to create a somber ballad about a failed relationship.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

About Ryan Israel

Ryan's favorite movie is "Dazed and Confused."

Contact Ryan