-

-

Saint Mary’s to host ‘Battle of the Belles’ for current and accepted students

| Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Saint Mary’s College will be celebrating the dedication of the new Angela Athletic & Wellness Complex on Saturday with the “Battle of the Belles,” a night of friendly competition between classes.

The event will start at 7 p.m. at the Angela facility and will have many games for students to compete in, Student Activities Board president and senior Lily Freund said in an email.

“‘Battle of the Belles’ is a battle between the classes all about class spirit and fun competition,” she said. “Each class can win points for winning games such as tug-o-war, dodgeball, giant twister, class cheer competition, balloon burst, a dance contest, Saint Mary’s trivia and more.”

The Student Activities Board held a similar event in the past called “Midnight Madness,” Freund said, but this year, other campus organizations are involved.

“This event is organized by many Saint Mary’s organizations including Student Involvement, Student Activities Board and Class Council,” Freund said. “By collaborating with other Saint Mary’s organizations we are able to make this event even bigger.”

Student Affairs director Julie Schroeder-Biek said in an email she helped organize the event in the hopes of increasing student participation.

“Between my fellow Student Affairs directors, Gloria Jenkins and Ariel Leary, we are organizing the games, recruiting fellow staff to assist and collecting a lot of great prizes for our students to win,” Schroeder-Biek said. “We want our students to participate in the fun, so staff members are running the event.”

As part of the larger Angela Athletic & Wellness Complex dedication ceremony, the “Battle of the Belles” is one of several events to be held at the College this weekend. “Meet Me at the Avenue,” or accepted student day, will take place Sunday so visiting students are also able to participate, Schroeder-Biek said.

“It works out beautifully that ’Meet Me at the Avenue’ is this weekend as well,” she said. “This presented the perfect opportunity to show our accepted students some Belle spirit, so our Admission Office invited them. We have had a great response: so far more than 90 accepted students have expressed interest in attending.”

Freund said she is excited to include and welcome the accepted students with the excitement others will show through “Battle of the Belles,” and there are many ways for current students to participate and show school spirit.

“You can participate by decorating for your class and showing spirit based on the assigned colors for each class,” Freund said. “Show your spirit for your class and participate in the games and events during the competition. There will be prizes throughout the event and the overall winning class will get a pizza party.”

This event is centered around student participation, Schroeder-Biek said. There will be an opportunity for a class prize, many chances to win individual prizes and special drawings for each class and accepted students, she said.

“We are depending on our current students to participate, show their class spirit and have fun,” Schroeder-Biek said. “We did not do any pre-registration for our current students. Come to Angela this Saturday around 6:45 p.m. to register with your class.”

About Maria Leontaras

Contact Maria