-

-

irish insider

Dominic Angelotti achieves personal fundraising goal

| Friday, March 2, 2018

For Dominic Angelotti, a senior from Carroll Hall, boxing is a relatively new venture. Angelotti transferred to Notre Dame in his sophomore year, so for him, boxing was a way to get in shape and foster new friendships in an unfamiliar place.

“I started boxing my sophomore year,” Angelotti said. “I was attracted to it initially for the workout aspect — I really wanted to get in good shape, meet some new people as a transfer student, expand my horizons.”  

But soon after committing to Bengal Bouts, Angelotti discovered a new interest in the form of fundraising and charity. The Holy Cross mission in Bangladesh is clearly a fundamental part of the efforts behind Bengal Bouts, and although Angelotti has not had the opportunity to travel abroad in those efforts, he has done a considerable amount on campus.

“I just kind of fell in love with the fundraising aspect [after joining],” Angelotti said. “ … [I’m most proud of] just being able to raise the most amount of money I’ve raised so far this year out of my three years and just getting better at boxing each year.”

And the efforts here on campus which go into organizing Bengal Bouts are extensive, to say the least. Between organizing the tournament, fundraising and physically preparing for the fights, boxers — especially the captains — do a lot to ensure the tournament’s smooth operation. In becoming a captain his senior year, Angelotti has come to develop an immense appreciation for those efforts.

“I’ve realized there are a lot more things behind the scenes to do,” he said. “The previous two years, I’ve boxed and I’ve helped fundraise and everything like that, but I didn’t really have an idea of just how much went into planning the tournament, organizing events, coming up with fundraising ideas and goals — all of the administrative stuff that happens behind the scenes.”

Furthermore, as a result of his involvement in the bouts, Angelotti has developed a significant affinity for boxing itself. He said the sport teaches lessons and fosters characteristics that are extremely valuable.

“I think it really just teaches mental strength. I’ve learned how to push myself and how to assess my boundaries physically, emotionally, mentally — not just doing the workouts, but in everyday life,” Angelotti said.

Although Angelotti was eliminated in the first round this year, he has had considerable success in his career at Notre Dame, as he made it to the semifinal round of last year’s Bouts. Angelotti will have one more year to cap off his Bengal Bouts career, as he is pursuing a one-year master’s program at Notre Dame for the 2018-19 school year. Nonetheless, he said his captaincy experience has moved him to develop an appreciation for what goes on behind the Bouts, especially the efforts of the Holy Cross mission.

About Connor Mulvena

Contact Connor