-

-

Track and Field

Irish set to split squad after competing at Vanderbilt last weekend

| Wednesday, March 28, 2018

This past weekend, several Notre Dame athletes competed at the Black and Gold Invitational at Vanderbilt University. The Irish fielded runners in three different events, competing well and picking up two top-five finishes over the course of the two-day meet.

On the men’s side, the Irish had athletes compete in the 2,000-meter steeplechase and the 800-meter and 1,500-meter races. Notre Dame sophomore distance runner Dustin Macuiba placed third in the steeplechase, crossing the finish line in 6:02.52. Junior Anthony Williams and sophomore Sean Kurdy also competed in the event. Williams earned sixth place in 6:05.21, while Kurdy placed eighth with a time of 6:18.62.

The Irish men also had three runners in the 1,500-meter race. Freshman Andrew Alexander (3:58.14), graduate student Connor Sheryak (3:59.14) and freshman Vincent Zona (3:59.34) placed 18th, 19th and 20th in the event, respectively. In the 800-meter event, Notre Dame freshman Matt Fraizer finished 18th overall with a time of 1:57.23.

The Notre Dame women competed in both the 800-meter and 1,500-meter races. Freshman distance runner Erin Sullivan secured the other top-five finish for the Irish on the weekend. Sullivan earned fourth place overall in the 800-meter, finishing the race with a time of 2:15.70. Senior Notre Dame distance runner Stephanie Knight competed in the 1,500-meter event, finishing in 4:38.59 and earning a 13th-place finish.

This weekend, the Irish will be splitting up to compete at the Stanford Invitational and the Raleigh Relays at North Carolina State. Both meets are high-profile meets that draw strong competition from across the nation, and the Irish will be looking to make a statement.

In an interview on March 21, Notre Dame men’s distance coach Sean Carlson stressed the importance of this weekend’s competitions for the team.

“Stanford and North Carolina State will be in attendance [this] weekend, and they’re pretty big meets for our whole track team in general,” he said. “This weekend [our goal] is to kind of get a little bit of momentum going into that.”

Competition will begin in Palo Alto, California at 10 a.m. Friday and will run through Saturday. The Raleigh Relays will also be a two-day competition, beginning at noon Friday.

Tags: , , , , , ,

About Peter Baltes

Contact Peter