Irish take sixth place at Bighorn Invitational

Notre Dame came home with a sixth-place finish at the Kansas State Bighorn Invitational after a competitive weekend of golf. The competition was a two-day, 54-hole event, which took place at the Canyons Course of the Bighorn Golf Club in Palm Desert, California.

The par-72, 7,000-yard course featured excellent conditions with quickly-rolling greens. This, coupled with perfect weather, made for two days of strong golf.

The tournament field included 12 total teams, of whom five were in Golfstat’s most recent top 50. No. 15 Illinois, No. 32 Brigham Young and No. 35 Kansas headlined the field, and Illinois emerged victorious at 40-under par by the end.

Notre Dame’s 12-under par performance was good enough to secure a sixth-place finish. However, Notre Dame’s play declined over the course of the three rounds, carding a 1-over-par 73 in the final round. Nevertheless, the 12-under team total marked the best Irish play yet this spring.

Four golfers for Notre Dame finished the Invitational under par, highlighted by freshman Davis Chatfield’s 14th-place individual performance. Chatfield had three strong rounds, able to stay below par in each, and finished with a 5-under 211. Meanwhile, junior Ben Albin finished 18th, with a 3-under 213, while junior Miguel Delgado and sophomore John Felitto each tied for 21st with scores of 2-under-par 214s.

Notre Dame next travels to Keowee Falls, South Carolina, to compete in the Clemson Invitational beginning April 13.