-

-

Men’s Golf

Notre Dame finishes middle of pack at Schenkel Invitational

| Thursday, March 22, 2018

Last weekend, the Irish traveled to Statesboro, Georgia, to compete in the 39th annual Schenkel Invitational at Forest Heights Country Club. The tournament included some of the sport’s top teams, including No. 3 Vanderbilt and No. 4 Florida, competing for the event’s crown.

At the conclusion of the three-day, 54-hole tournament, the Irish found themselves in seventh place in the 14-team field. Irish head coach John Handrigan thought the team performed well in the tough field.

“There were a lot of positives at the tournament,” Handrigan said. “We’ve been working hard. We went to Kiawah Island [in South Carolina] for a few days prior to the tournament to prepare. I felt like we were the best prepared team in that event. When we got to the tournament, we played really well. Our scores didn’t indicate how well we played. We played better than that — I was proud of the guys.”

Sophomore John Felitto, who competed as an individual, led the way for the Irish with a 5-under 211 on the weekend. He finished 10th in the field, with junior Ben Albin finishing just behind him in a tie for 12th. Sophomore Davis Lamb and junior Miguel Delgado also put together solid weekends, carding a 1-under 215 and and 1-over 217, respectively.

Freshman Davis Chatfield was one player who, as Handrigan said, had a score which did not reflect his performance over the weekend. A third-round 80 set him back in the standings, but he sat at 4-under-par after two rounds, a pace that would have led the Irish, had he continued it through the final round.

When asked if he expects Felitto to lead the way this year, Handrigan said he does, but he also expects the rest of the team to reach that level as well.

“I definitely expect Felitto to be a leader,” Handrigan said. “I expect that out of all of our guys, to be honest — to be leaders and take turns in that role. He played great last week, and being a sophomore and getting a top 10 in that high quality field was impressive. I’m very proud of him for that.”

The Irish now face a quick turnaround, leaving campus Thursday to cross the country and compete in the K-State Bighorn Invitational at Bighorn Golf Club in Palm Desert, California. Hosted by Kansas State, teams from all over the country will travel to the warmth of California and look to continue to improve their games. The ACC, Big 12, Pac-12, SEC and Big Ten will all be represented at the tournament.

“The guys have been working hard,” Handrigan said. “They played well in the last event. We’re well prepared, so we’re going to feed off of our last event. This time of year, being a northern school, whenever you can play a lot of golf and play consecutively is good. It’s good to keep continuing on and playing.”

The Irish will continue their season at the K-State Bighorn Invitational at Bighorn Golf Club in Palm Desert, California, on Friday and Saturday.

Tags: , , , , , ,

About Jack Concannon

Contact Jack