-

-

Classics Club to host Sound of Classics event

| Thursday, April 12, 2018

The Notre Dame Classics Club will present a blast from the distant past with the Sound of Classics event Thursday at 7 p.m. in the Hesburgh Library’s Carey Auditorium.

Since its inception in 2007, the Sound of Classics event has been an opportunity to experience firsthand the poetry, stories and songs from the classical cultures of antiquity.

“Think of it as a classics variety show,” senior Olivia May, the club’s vice president, said. “We have one student singing Italian songs with his accordion. We also have people reciting pieces of Latin, as well as skits.”

May herself has a role in a skit from Homer’s “Odyssey.”

The event includes performances not only from the students in the Classics club, but others as well, junior Caitlin Riley said.

“Other student groups will also be performing — Humor Artists are doing some improv and the Not So Royal Shakespeare group is doing a scene from ‘Julius Caesar,’” Riley said. “I think we’ve got the Liturgical Choir coming too. So we’ve got a bunch of different groups all doing things that are Latin or Greek-related.”  

Senior Mary McNulty said there will be a variety of performances on display at the event. 

“Some professors give extra credit for kids to recite poetry or anything that they’re reading in class, and we also have people who do creative skits from Greek and Roman,” McNulty said. “We even have someone doing a ‘classics rap’ this year.”

The event is not only focused on remembering the old, but also on adding a new twist. The Sound of Classics event highlights the continued relevance of Greek and Roman culture and language in modern times, Riley said.

“I think a lot of the time people just think of things like Latin as a dead language but when you think about it the culture is still all around you. Like in the Great Hall [of O’Shaughnessy Hall], the windows have all these Greek philosophers on them,” Riley said. “A lot of the skits are about making things modern and seeing how the themes are still relevant today as well as bringing out the beauty of the language and culture.”

McNulty said that the Sound of Classic events demonstrates the continuing relevance of the classics.

“Classics majors get asked a lot, ‘Why are you studying a dead language?’’ McNulty said. “And through this, we can show everyone that it’s not actually dead and that you can make it very relevant and funny for a modern audience.”

About Max Lander

Contact Max