-

-

Football

Durham Smythe drafted 123rd overall in 2018 NFL Draft

| Saturday, April 28, 2018

Former Irish tight end Durham Smythe was drafted 123rd overall in the 2018 NFL Draft by the Miami Dolphins as the 23rd pick in the fourth round.

Largely a blocking tight end, Smythe played in all 13 games for the Irish in his fifth year, averaging a career-high 16.3 yards per reception. He scored one touchdown in the 2017 season and averaged 18.8 yards per game.

Chris Collins | The Observer

Irish graduate student tight end Durham Smythe leaps for a catch during Notre Dame’s 21-17 victory over LSU in the Citrus Bowl on Jan. 1 at Camping World Stadium.

Smythe also played in every game in 2016, scoring four touchdowns on nine receptions and an average of 12.4 yards per reception.

He battled shoulder and knee injuries in 2015 as a junior and only played in three games, but he scored his first-career touchdown against Virginia. In his sophomore year, he played in all 13 games and only recorded one reception.

Smythe is the third Irish player drafted in the 2018 NFL Draft, following former offensive linemen Quenton Nelson and Mike McGlinchey, who were picked No. 6 and No. 9 overall, respectively. He is the seventh-straight Notre Dame starting tight end and 29th overall to get selected in the NFL Draft, including the 16th tight end in school history to be drafted in the top-four rounds.

Tags: ,