-

-

Fr. Jenkins comments on Mayor Buttigieg’s veto concerning location of Women’s Care Center

| Saturday, April 28, 2018

University President Fr. John Jenkins released a statement Friday condemning South Bend Mayor Pete Buttigieg’s decision to veto a measure that would allow for the construction of a Women’s Care Center facility near a proposed Whole Women’s Health Alliance clinic in South Bend.

“The Women’s Care Center, on whose board I serve, gives women in crisis the support they need for themselves and their babies before and after birth,” Jenkins said in the statement. “It doesn’t engage in political advocacy, but provides compassionate, non-judgmental loving care to women most in need. I am saddened by Mayor Buttigieg’s decision to veto a bill that would have allowed the Women’s Care Center to build a facility near one that seeks to provide abortions.

“The mayor’s decision excludes an important presence from that neighborhood and thwarts plans that had met the criteria for rezoning and had been approved by the Common Council. Far from enhancing the harmony of the neighborhood, it divides our community and diminishes opportunities for vulnerable women to have a real choice. The mayor is a talented and dedicated public servant with whom I have worked closely to serve our community, but I am deeply disappointed by his decision.”

About Observer Staff Report

Contact Observer Staff Report