-

-

Men’s Basketball

Mike Brey signs contract extension through 2025

| Tuesday, April 10, 2018

This past season, Mike Brey won his 400th game patrolling the sideline as Notre Dame’s head coach, a mark that makes him the winningest head coach in the men’s program’s history. And the University hopes he will be able add to that total for years to come, as it announced Tuesday that Brey signed a contract extension that will keep him in the position through the 2024-2025 season.

The new deal will take effect July 1, 2018, and run through June 30, 2025. It extends his previous contract, which was set to expire in 2021-2022, by three seasons. Brey signed that contract at the end of the 2011-2012 season.

Ann Curtis | The Observer

Irish head coach Mike Brey coaches from the sidelines during Notre Dame’s 77-74 loss to Miami (FL) on Feb. 19 at Purcell Pavilion. Brey, the men’s program’s winningest coach, has led the Irish for 18 years and will now be under contract through 2025.

“My goal has always been to be good enough to retire as the head coach at Notre Dame,” Brey said in a press release. “It sure looks like I might be able to pull that off with this extension. I am truly honored and humbled to be the head coach at the University of Notre Dame. I want to sincerely thank [University President Fr. John Jenkins] and [director of athletics] Jack Swarbrick for their steadfast support and commitment to our program.

“I’m proud of what our program has achieved in the past 18 years, and I could not be more excited about what the future holds.”

Brey was initially named head coach by the University on July 14, 2000. During his 18 seasons with the program, Brey has lead Notre Dame to an average of 22 wins per season, 12 NCAA tournament appearances, three trips to the Sweet 16 and back-to-back Elite Eight appearances in 2015 — a season which included an ACC tournament championship — and 2016. In 2011, Brey won the AP Coach of the Year award. He also has three Big East Coach of the Year awards on his resume, earning that honor in 2007, 2008 and 2011.

“Mike Brey has built one of the most consistently successful programs in the country,” Swarbrick said in the release. “And the foundation of that success is a winning culture that develops the members of his teams as both basketball players and young men. He is a perfect fit for Notre Dame, and we are excited to have him lead our program well into the future.”

If Brey finishes out the length of his new contract, he will have spent 25 years as Notre Dame’s head coach. That would make him the longest-tenured coach in the program’s history, passing the likes of Digger Phelps and George Keogan, who each held the position for 20 years.