-

-

Football

Nick Watkins announces intention to transfer

| Friday, April 27, 2018

Irish cornerback Nick Watkins announced his intention to seek a graduate transfer Thursday on his Twitter account.

Chris Collins | The Observer

Former Irish graduate student cornerback Nick Watkins attempts to make a tackle during Notre Dame’s 21-17 victory over LSU in the 2018 Citrus Bowl at Camping World Stadium in Orlando, Florida.

Watkins, who played in 12 games for the Irish last season, was competing for one of the team’s starting cornerback roles alongside junior Julian Love. Whether or not he won the starting job, the DeSoto, Texas, native was expected to see the field throughout the season for the Irish.

“When I decided to attend Notre Dame, my primary goal was to earn a degree from this prestigious University, and I’m proud to say that I’ll achieve that goal,” Watkins said in his tweet. “ … I’ve grown so much here and I appreciate all the valuable lessons that I’ve learned.”

Watkins played in 35 games over his four season with the Irish, recording 37 tackles, nine pass breakups and one interception, with 29 of those tackles, eight of those pass breakups and the interception all coming last season.

Tags: ,