-

-

ND Women’s Golf

Notre Dame prepared to compete for ACC Championship against top-50 talent

| Thursday, April 19, 2018

After concluding a successful regular season, which saw them earn six top-10 tournament finishes, the Irish have turned their attention to the ACC Championship this coming weekend at the Grandover Resort & Conference Center in Greensboro, North Carolina.

Although the Irish experienced a successful regular season, head coach Susan Holt knows that postseason play is its own season and she is excited to compete in a talented ACC pool.

“We are excited to compete for an ACC Championship, the best women’s golf conference in the country. Of the 12 teams, 10 are ranked in the top 50. No other conference can make that claim,” Holt said.

The Irish are included amongst the ACC teams ranked within the top 50, as they are currently ranked 46th overall, good enough to earn them a 10th seed in the tournament. A season ago, the Irish finished tied for 9th in the conference championship, but Holt said they’re confident that they can compete for the ACC Championship.

“We need to tap into the many successes we have had this season and show up and execute at the highest level possible,” Holt said. “That is what it will take to contend. If everyone can stay loose, trust and believe in their ability, we can catch fire and make a run at it.”

Notre Dame’s chances at a successful postseason run will largely be dependent on the performances of its two most consistent competitors — juniors Emma Albrecht and Maddy Rose Hamilton. Albrecht leads the team in stroke average, shooting 72.22 per round, while Hamilton ranks second on the team shooting 73.61. Both have recorded three top-three tournament placements and will be expected to pace the Irish this weekend. Despite the strong play by the two upperclassmen, Holt knows it’ll take more than the two of them if her team wants to win the ACC Championship.

“While their [Albrect and Hamilton] solid play will be key for us, it will take an entire team effort to play the level of golf necessary to bring home a championship,“ she said.

While preparing to compete in the ACC Tournament, Holt looks forward to the NCAA tournament set to begin May 7. Although more than two weeks away, Holt believes that the high level of competition the Irish will face in the ACC Tournament will prepare them for the NCAA Tournament. Holt said there’s no better way for them to prepare for the NCAA tournament than playing against so many ranked teams.

“We can play well and still not win and I will be ok with that,” she said. “This is a critical point in our season and it’s about playing three solid rounds that are in line with what we are capable of when we are at our best. If we can do that and get some confidence heading into the NCAA tournament I think this team is poised to make a program-best showing.”

While competing for the conference championship, the Irish be paired with the 11th & 12th seeds – Virginia Tech and the Boston College — the same teams they teed off with at last season’s ACC Championship. Tee off is scheduled for the Irish this Saturday at 9 a.m.

About Mia Berry

Contact Mia