-

-

Men’s Golf

Notre Dame finishes third at Clemson Invitational

| Tuesday, April 17, 2018

The Irish had a successful weekend at The Cliffs at Keowee Falls Golf Course in Salem, South Carolina, registering a third-place finish in the Clemson Invitational. The three-round competition took place over Friday and Saturday.

The Cliffs is a 7,103-yard course with a par of 72, and it played host to a field of 12 that was highlighted by No. 14 Clemson, the winner in the event’s previous two years.

Chris Collins | The Observer

Irish junior Miguel Delgado prepares to hit his next shot during the Fighting Irish Classic on Oct. 8 at Warren Golf Course.

Notre Dame put forward the usual quintet of juniors Ben Albin and Miguel Delgado, sophomores John Felitto and Davis Lamb and freshman Davis Chatfield. Additionally, junior Kevin Conners competed as an individual in the tournament.

After two competitive days of golf, Notre Dame finished four strokes behind second-place Clemson and six strokes back of first-place Boston College. Lamb and Delgado led the Irish in their efforts, securing ties for seventh- and ninth-place finishes, respectively. Lamb finished with a three-day total of a 2-over 218. Delgado finished one stroke behind with a 3-over 219.

Delgado served as the Irish star for the final round with a 2-over-par showing, making three birdies on the back nine. Felitto matched this final-round performance while also helping to propel Notre Dame to a top-three placing, as his second and third rounds allowed him to jump 26 spots from his first-day placing to finish tied for 11th place with a 4-over 220.

This marked Notre Dame’s first top-three finish of the spring season, bringing their overall total to three for the year. Now the Irish will look to carry this momentum into the ACC championship this coming weekend. The conference tournament will take place Friday through Sunday at the Old North State Club in New London, North Carolina.

Tags: , , , , , ,