-

-

ND Women’s Tennis

Irish end season with loss to Wake Forest

| Thursday, April 26, 2018

The Irish finished their season with a 4-2 loss to Wake Forest in the first round of the ACC championships Wednesday.

After a rain delay, the match between Notre Dame (11-15, 2-12 ACC) and Wake Forest (18-12, 5-9) was moved from the Cary Tennis Park to an indoor facility at Duke.

Rosie LoVoi | The Observer

Irish junior Rachel Chong stretches out for a shot during Notre Dame’s 4-3 loss against North Carolina State on April 8 at Eck Tennis Pavilion.

Junior Rachel Chong and freshman Caroline Dunleavy won points for the Irish in singles, but the Demon Deacons pulled away in doubles.

Wake Forest swept in doubles thanks to a pair of 6-2 wins on Courts No. 1 and No. 3. Demon Deacons junior Emma Davis and sophomore Chandler Carter defeated senior Brooke Broda and sophomore Zoe Spence on Court No. 1. On Court No. 3, Wake Forest sophomore Alexis Franco and junior Anna Ulyashchenko took the win over freshman Ally Bojczuk and Chong. On Court No. 2, the Irish trailed 5-2 when the point was clinched.

Moving on to singles, Dunleavy tied her match 1-1 and went on to win on Court No. 6 6-1, 6-0 against Franco. Wake Forest won the next two matches, and then Chong won on Court No. 5 with game scores of 6-3, 7-5. Ulyashchenko defeated Bojczuk in three sets, 5-7, 6-4, 6-4, to claim the match for Wake Forest. Irish senior Allison Miller battled it out in three sets with Davis, 6-4, 4-6, 2-4, before play was suspended.

Notre Dame finished their season at 11-15 and Wake Forest improved to 18-12. The Deamon Deacons will advance to the second round to face Virginia on Thursday.