-

-

Saint Mary’s juniors welcome their mothers to campus

| Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Saint Mary’s juniors gave their moms a glimpse into their college lives during this past weekend with the college’s annual Junior Moms Weekend. The weekend began Friday with a reception, where juniors and their moms received a t-shirt with the slogan “I got it from my momma.”

Later that night, moms and daughters participated in karaoke night at O’Rourke’s Public House on Eddy Street, junior Meredith Mackowicz said.

“Karaoke is always fun, and this weekend was no exception, even though it was packed everyone had a great time,” Mackowicz said.

For junior Brianna Foley, her favorite part of the weekend was karaoke.

“It was a fun and relaxed time with our moms. Moms and daughters were able to mingle with each other and sing to some good songs,” Foley said.

The next day, juniors and their moms could shop and browse clothing at a trunk show, which included brands such as Beyond Zen, Gina Marie Skincare and Vintage Charm, class council representative senior Delaney Gilbert said. Gilbert helped plan the weekend.

Mackowicz said introducing her mom to her friends at school was a unique opportunity.

“When I was in high school, all of my friends’ families knew each other, and were able to connect and form friendships with one another, and I think parents weekends are a great way to do that,” she said. ”Plus, with [Saint Mary’s] being an all women’s college, it’s important to show love to the strong women who raised us, because we wouldn’t be who we are without them.”

Saturday also included a mass and dinner at the Hilton Garden Inn, which concluded the weekend.

“I wish it went through Sunday, just because I’m always up for more time with my mom. But, for the price we pay, I think a final Sunday brunch with the moms would be awesome, even if it was just DH,” Mackowicz said.

Mackowicz said attending mass with her mom was a good opportunity to bond and reflect.

“It was just a really special experience. It was nice to take a little break and be thankful for such a good weekend together,” she said.

Foley said she enjoyed letting her mom peek into her life as a college student.

“I think it is a good time for moms to come to see their children at school, the school to appreciate students’ parents and a good time for parents to meet other students’ parents,” she said. “My mom really was able to see what it was like to be a Belle this weekend.”

About Colleen Zewe

Contact Colleen