-

-

Seniors celebrate legacy with Party on the Field

| Thursday, April 26, 2018

Throughout the year, seniors Sarafina Joseph and Anthony Caputo, chairs of Senior Legacy, have been working with their executive board to organize the giving campaign for the senior class’ first gift to Notre Dame, which will benefit the Fighting Irish Initiative. To celebrate the work they’ve been doing, they are hosting this year’s Party on the Field, an event for the senior class.

“Everyone in the senior class has been getting a lot of emails from me, Sarafina, our entire executive team,” Caputo said. “We’ve been relatively — for lack of a better term — very annoying to the class, and to give back to them and thanking them for joining us and being part of that legacy, we throw this event called Party on the Field.”

The event will start Thursday at 6:30 p.m., and the group will meet at Door 10 before going to the South Club in O’Neill Hall on the south-side of the stadium. Seniors will be able to eat tacos, enjoy the inflatables that will be on the field and listen to a band from Keenan, Joseph said.

Caputo said the event typically features a speaker instead of the band, but Caputo and Joseph decided a band would help provide the lighthearted atmosphere they wanted for the event.

“It’s [going to be] a good time with my friends to take a breather,” Joseph said of why she was excited about the event.

Besides switching the speaker for a band, Caputo said the group has made other changes, including moving the event from the weekend to a Thursday.

“It’s kind of completely different, only because we have so many more things to work with now that the new buildings are open,” he said.

While there is no set cost for attending Party on the Field, the board has been encouraging a donation of $10 to go toward Senior Legacy. Caputo and Joseph said they wanted to contribute to Fighting Irish Initiative to directly benefit students.

“We met back in August/September and decided … that we wanted to raise funds for the Fighting Irish Initiative, which is a part of the Office of Student Enrichment that helps students who are on extreme financial aid get those extra things to make their Notre Dame experience whole — football tickets, a winter coat, having their parents come for [Junior Parents Weekend] or commencement, things like that,” Caputo said.

Joseph said they wanted “to make sure that money is no object in being a Domer.”

“It was very important to us — especially early on — that [the money] would go somewhere that would impact students right now right here,” she said.

This year’s executive board did not set a target for the amount of money they wanted to raise, but they are hoping to have 70 percent or more of the senior class participate, which would beat last year’s 69 percent class participation.

Caputo said students should contribute since he thinks everyone “has had some sort of good experience” at Notre Dame.

“I’ve taken it for granted about how easy it is for me to do things on campus, like go to football games and have my parents come out for a weekend and things like that,” he said. “I kind of forget that there are students who don’t have that same opportunity … Being able to take a moment and realize there are so many kids who are just like us — they are regular Notre Dame students who deserve to have this full Notre Dame experience.”

Seniors should enjoy their last time being on the field as a senior class before graduation, Caputo said.

“We’re so grateful for the responses we’ve been getting from our fellow classmates and how awesome we think this event is going to be because we’re going to celebrate one last time as an entire class,” he said.

About Alexandra Muck

Alexandra Muck is a Notre Dame sophomore majoring in business and economics. Originally from Dallas, she currently lives in Howard Hall.

Contact Alexandra