Three former Irish players sign NFL deals as undrafted free agents

Following the conclusion of the 2018 NFL Draft on Saturday, three more former Irish players joined NFL rosters as undrafted free agents, as running back Josh Adams, linebacker Nyles Morgan and defensive lineman Andrew Trumbetti all agreed to terms with NFL teams Saturday evening after not being drafted.

Adams, who declared early for the NFL Draft after a junior season in which he ran for 1,430 yards and nine touchdowns, agreed to terms with the Philadelphia Eagles. The Warrington, Pennsylvania, native finished his Notre Dame career with 3,198 rushing yards in three seasons and will now join a roster that features Jay Ajayi, Kenjon Barner, Corey Clement, Donnel Pumphrey, Wendell Smallwood and Darren Sproles at running back.

1525054104-af2c9b60d870eba-700x396
Former Irish running back Josh Adams surveys the defense during Notre Dame's 21-17 win over LSU at the 2018 Citrus Bowl on Jan. 1.
Former Irish running back Josh Adams surveys the defense during Notre Dame's 21-17 win over LSU at the 2018 Citrus Bowl on Jan. 1 at Camping World Stadium.

Morgan, who started at middle linebacker both his junior and senior seasons for the Irish, agreed to sign with the Chicago Bears. The Crete, Illinois, native recorded 186 tackled over those two seasons, including 5 1/2 sacks and 13 tackles for loss. The Bears drafted former Georgia linebacker Roquan Smith to play alongside last year’s starter Danny Trevathan at the inside linebacker spots of the Bears’ 3-4 defense. The Bears also drafted former Western Kentucky linebacker Joel Iyiegbuniwe in the fourth round, and he is also expected to play inside, leaving Morgan to compete for a spot on the depth chart with Iyiegbuniwe, Nick Kwiatkoski, John Timu and Jonathan Anderson at inside linebacker.

The Bears also signed Trumbetti, who largely played on the defensive line for the Irish, after the draft. The Demarest, New Jersey, native is expected to transition to playing at the outside linebacker position, where he is expected to compete for a backup role behind projected starters Leonard Floyd and Aaron Lynch. Trumbetti played in all 13 games this past season but started only one, and he recorded four tackles for loss amongst his 28 total tackles.

Adams, Morgan and Trumbetti join former Irish players Quenton Nelson, Mike McGlinchey, Durham Smythe and Equanimeous St. Brown — all of whom were drafted between Thursday and Saturday — as members of the 2017 roster to join the ranks of Notre Dame players at the next level.