-

-

scene

Who needs Coachella when you have Couchella

| Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Claire Kopischke

Every April, thousands of people flock to the Coachella Valley of Southern California for the nation’s premier music festival. Girls put on their finest flower crowns, guys grab their slickest basketball jerseys and all festival-goers rage on for performance after performance under the hot California sun.

But to be completely honest, Coachella is overrated. Planes to California are nothing but pricey, tickets to the festival itself are even more expensive and camping with 250,000 strangers is not exactly what I would call ideal living conditions. The only reasonable alternative to Coachella is Couchella.

Couchella consists of watching performance after performance via the Coachella live stream while sitting in the comfort of your own living room — or dorm room in my case.

With Couchella there’s no waiting in long lines, standing on your feet all day or sweating for hours on end. The biggest positive of Couchella is that you get to see every performance that you want to. With the click of a button you can switch from watching Daniel Caesar sing sweet melodies in front of a line of palm trees to watching DJ Alan Walker blast EDM to a massive crowd. Couchella also makes it easy to catch all the highlights of the festival. After enjoying my own Couchella weekend, here are the highlights:

Best overall performance: Beyonce

So this was kind of expected. Beyonce runs the music world right now and she displayed her dominance on the second night of Coachella. Beyonce’s headlining set was more than a performance — it was a spectacle. With the help of a full marching band and spirited backup dancers, Queen Bey electrified the entire audience — even those watching from their couch.  

The Houston-born singer delivered an almost two-hour long set with few breaks and some notable guests. Beyonce’s husband Jay-Z joined her for “Deja Vu,” but the New York rapper had trouble matching his wife’s confident energy. Later in the performance, Beyonce hosted a Destiny’s Child reunion bringing Kelly Rowland and Michelle Williams to the stage. From start to finish Beyonce controlled the stage and brought the heat.

Best guest appearance: Mason Ramsey

Twitter is a crazy place. Mason Ramsey, an 11-year-old from Illinois, went viral in late March after a video of him singing in a Walmart took over Twitter. In a matter of weeks, Ramsey, known as ‘Walmart Yodeling Kid,’ became an internet celebrity and — like Notre Dame’s basketball star Arike Ogunbowale — he appeared on “Ellen.” Then, to top it all off, Ramsey joined EDM artist Wethan on Coachella’s largest stage before of thousands of fans. Ramsey sang his trademark cover of “Lovesick Blues” by Hank Williams and the crowd went nuts. The young Ramsey capitalized on his five seconds of fame in expert fashion and played at a festival that aspiring musicians long for their entire lives. The only downside of Ramsey’s appearance was that Wethan didn’t play the head-banging EDM remix of Ramsey’s cover.

Best rock performance: Greta Van Fleet

I have had dreams of seeing classic rock bands like Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones or The Who perform in their prime. Unfortunately, all of these exceptional bands are well past their peak years. But when Greta Van Fleet took the stage on the first day of Coachella, I felt like I was watching a great classic rock group perform. Greta Van Fleet’s four members went all out, donning zany rockstar outfits and diving into impromptu guitar and drum solos. Their performance oozed swagger, confidence and “good vibes,” as those at Coachella would probably say.

Other notable highlights:

Best rap performance: Flatbush Zombies

Best cover: Jorja Smith covering Frank Ocean’s “Lost”

Best performance while visibly drunk: Post Malone

Coachella/Couchella returns this upcoming weekend. Watch the live stream here: https://www.youtube.com/user/coachella

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

About Ryan Israel

Ryan's favorite movie is "Dazed and Confused."

Contact Ryan