-

-

scene

WVFI Radiothon and vinyl giveaway

| Monday, April 16, 2018

Joseph Han

WVFI, Notre Dame’s student-run radio station, will host its 6th annual 10-hour-long fundraising extravaganza, Radiothon, this upcoming Sunday, April 22. The event, which consists of recorded interviews, live interviews and music, begins at 12 p.m. and goes until 10 p.m., and will be broadcast on their online website.

Dino Swan, a Dillon Hall senior and Finance and Economics double major, currently serves as WVFI’s station manager. In this role he oversees the logistics of the station and its events, which includes managing 12 board members and close to 200 affiliated DJs who host shows on WVFI’s platform. Swan noted the former successes of Radiothon, which include a range of exciting and recognizable figures in the Notre Dame world, as well as guests from the sports, entertainment and art worlds more broadly. “Every year over the past few years we’ve had a big day where we interview big names on campus, personalities — for example, we’ve interviewed the Red Hot Chili Peppers before. We interviewed Corbin Bleu, OK Go, Adult Mom.”

This year’s lineup boasts an impressive list of interviewees, including musical guests such as Adult Mom, Diamondstein, Nmesh, Kero Kero Bonito, Cassandra Jenkins, Caroline Says, Shenandoah Davis, Dreamgirl and Boy Scouts. Listeners can find the complete and regularly updating list on WVFI’s website.

The proceeds from Radiothon will go to Girls Rock Camp Alliance, an organization dedicated to creating summer camps for girls across the United States. Swan noted the difficulties faced in gaining recognition as female rock artists in today’s music industry. “You had the large female power rock bands of the 1980s like Heart… You see now a lot of female artists who are really successful in the pop scene. You have mega-hits like Beyonce or Rihanna.” The field of rock music, however, remains largely dominated by male artists. The goal of these camps is “to give girls the tools they need to succeed in music, the confidence to perform, and really just to help them create rock bands,” Swan said.

The idea for a Girls Rock benefit originated with three of WVFI’s leaders, Maggie Walsh, assistant station manager and Erin Turley and Audrey Grewe, both students who work at the station. Professor Mary Kearney, a professor in Film, Television and Theatre and Gender Studies, is leading an effort to establish a Girls Rock camp in Mishawaka. Kearney is leading this effort with the executive director of South Bend’s Music Village, Josh Aerie. The students met Professor Kearney through her “Gender and Rock” class and were inspired to get involved in the project.

This year, Radiothon will be broadcasting from an all-new location. In 2018, WVFI’s station made the big move from their lime-green former home in LaFortune student center to new, brightly-lit offices on the second floor of Duncan Student Center. Swan noted that the move had increased DJ participation notably. “The move from LaFun to Duncan increased [the number of DJs] a lot. We normally have roughly 75 shows per week — since we’ve moved, we’re hitting 90.”

WVFI’s encyclopedic collection of vinyls was also affected by the move. Swan estimated that, in the archive room of the LaFortune studio, WVFI had anywhere from 8,000 to 12,000 vinyl records stored in its massive collection. As an additional part of Radiothon this year, WVFI will be hosting a “Vinyl Giveaway” on South Quad from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Friday, April 20. The giveaway will be free, with a suggested donation to Girls Rock Camp. While WVFI tried to preserve all of their favorite artists, Swan said there was a high chance that students could find their own personal favorite artists among the selection of boxes. “There might be something you really like in there.”

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

About Nora McGreevy

Scene Editor.

Contact Nora