-

-

49 Notre Dame and Saint Mary’s graduates to teach with ACE

| Friday, May 18, 2018

Many members of the Notre Dame and Saint Mary’s class of 2018 will begin working full-time or attending graduate school after graduation. Of these students, 49 graduates from the two schools will start their careers with the Alliance for Catholic Education (ACE) and teach at Catholic schools around the country.

According to the ACE Notre Dame website, the organization serves over 13,500 students at over 120 Catholic schools in 35 communities. Included in this year’s Notre Dame graduating class who will teach with ACE next year is senior Colin Riley. Early on in his undergraduate career at Notre Dame, Riley knew he wanted to work with ACE.

“The most important one was all of the incredible people I had met that were involved in the program,” Riley said. “I knew that those were the people I really wanted to surround myself with to grow into the person that I wanted to be two years from now and that any program that attracted such amazing people must be doing some really fantastic work.”

Riley will be teaching high school math at Academy of Our Lady in New Orleans next year. He said his decision to teach is due in part to his appreciation for the education he received.

“I saw ACE as a great way to use the gifts I’ve been given to give back to the education system that did so much for me and to those who were less fortunate than I was,” Riley said. “Given that I am interested in a long-term career in education, ACE is also a great way to get some experience in education right away out of college. It doesn’t hurt that I get to stay a Notre Dame student for two more years.”

Riley said he is looking forward to getting to know the community of five other ACE teachers who he will be living with in New Orleans.

Another soon-to-be Notre Dame graduate, Hannah Beighle, will be teaching elementary school language arts for ACE at a Catholic school in Santa Ana, California.

Because Notre Dame doesn’t have an education major, Beighle who had always considered this major, decided to minor in education, schooling and society.

“I loved all the classes I took through this minor and was so inspired by the professors and their commitment to education,” Beighle said. “As I was finishing up my junior year, I realized that I wanted to do something after I graduated that I loved and was really fulfilled by. I knew deep down that I wanted to be a teacher and loved the mission of ACE, so it was a great fit for me.”

For Beighle, her career after Notre Dame is much more than simply educating children — it’s a greater mission of love.

“I’m drawn to teaching because, at the end of the day, being a teacher is about way more than providing information to students,” Beighle said. “Being a good teacher is all about loving your students. I am so excited to give my students a lot of love and see them as the unique and amazing kids God made them to be. I look forward to waking up every morning and knowing that the work I do that day will be valuable and meaningful.”

About Lucy Lynch

Contact Lucy