College announces change to commencement attire policy

Editor’s note: A version of this story appeared in the print edition of The Observer on April 11.

President Jan Cervelli announced a change to the Commencement stole policy Tuesday. The revised policy will begin with the 2018 Commencement, according to a press release.

Previously, the College allowed graduates to wear honors cords and medals at Commencement but did not allow stoles to be worn at the ceremony. Stoles, honors cords and medals were all allowed at the Baccalaureate Mass and Honors Convocation, however.

The previous policy only allowed exceptions recommended by an academic department with approval from the President. This revision to the permitted attire for the commencement ceremony will allow for approved stoles to be worn at graduation, according to the release.

Several members of the class of 2018 presented letters to President Cervelli requesting a change to the policy.

“I was moved by thoughtful letters from members of the class of 2018 saying that stoles represent the community they’ve found during their years at Saint Mary’s,” President Jan Cervelli said in the release. “They have shown themselves to be Women of Action in this effort, as well as in their involvement with the groups that have meant so much to them as students. Symbols of those experiences deserve to be worn during Commencement.”

The Office of Student Affairs will be responsible for approving graduation stoles if a student desires to wear a stole that is not on the list of approved stoles.

According to the release, organizations with approved stoles are the education department, multiethnic clubs and organizations, Notre Dame band and STEM programs.