-

-

University names six honorary degree recipients

| Friday, May 18, 2018

Notre Dame will award six honorary degrees at Commencement May 20, the University announced in a press release April 5.

Judge Sérgio Moro, this year’s Commencement speaker, will be recognized with an honorary doctor of laws degree, along with Cardinal Blase J. Cupich, William M. Goodyear, Kamal Hossain and Louise Richardson. In addition, Margaret Murnane will receive an honorary doctor of science degree.

Ordained a priest in 1975, Cupich was appointed a Cardinal in 2016, two years after Pope Francis named him archbishop of Chicago. He serves on the Congregation for Bishops and the Congregation for Catholic Education, the release said, and is also a member of three U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops committees.

Goodyear, a Notre Dame graduate and a Board of Trustees member since 1996, served as head of Navigant Consulting for 12 years as chairman and chief executive officer. The release said Goodyear also held positions as president of Bank of America’s Global Private Bank and chairman of Bank of America Illinois over the course of his nearly 30-year-long career in the banking industry.

A Notre Dame graduate, Hossain is recognized as “the father of the Bangladeshi constitution, which he drafted in 1972,” the release said. In 1971, he was arrested during the Bangladeshi Liberation War and after being released founded the political party, the People’s Forum, in Bangladesh and has held Bangladeshi ministry positions in law, foreign affairs and petroleum and minerals, the release said. He has also been a member of multiple United Nations commissions.

The inventor of “what is regarded as the fastest laser ever created,” Murnane has done extensive research in atomic, molecular and optical physics, the release said. She serves on the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, as well as the National Academy of Sciences and currently teaches physics and engineering courses at the University of Colorado. Murnane has been recognized for her research with a MacArthur Fellowship and the Maria Goeppert Mayer Award, among other awards, the release said, and she has also authored or co-authored over “200 papers for peer-reviewed journals.”

In 2016, Richardson was appointed as Oxford’s first female vice-chancellor, after having previously served as vice-chancellor at the University of St. Andrew’s, the release said. A political scientist from Ireland, Richardson has conducted extensive research on international security and terrorist movements and was recognized with a Sumner Prize for her work.

About Observer Staff Report

Contact Observer Staff Report