-

-

Men’s Tennis

Irish defeat Georgia Tech, fall to No. 1 Wake Forest in ACC tournament

| Tuesday, May 1, 2018

As the No. 4 seed in the ACC Championship, Notre Dame earned a double-bye into the quarterfinal round on Friday. The Irish cruised past No. 12 Georgia Tech but later fell to No. 1 Wake Forest on Saturday in the semifinals.

The Irish came into the ACC Championship, which took place at Cary Tennis Park in Cary, North Carolina, having won six of their past five matches.

On Friday, the Irish secured a handy 4-1 win over Georgia Tech. Notre Dame performed well across the board in these matches, punching the ticket for its first semifinal appearance in the tournament since 2014.

Although Georgia Tech claimed the doubles point, the Irish excelled in singles play, paving the way for a smooth victory. Sophomore Guillermo Cabrera started things off for the Irish, claiming victory on court three, and freshman Richard Ciamarra kept things going, winning 7-5, 6-2. Sophomore Matt Gamble and Freshman Tristan McCormick followed by handling their opponents swiftly, as Gamble won 7-6 (3), 6-2, and McCormick clinched the point with a 6-4, 6-4 victory. With McCormick’s clinching win and a Notre Dame victory in the books, junior Alex Lebedev’s and junior Grayson Broadus’ matches were abandoned.

The Irish then marched into Saturday with momentum, only to be squashed by the nation’s top-ranked team, Wake Forest.  The Demon Deacons quickly ran away with a 4-0 victory. Wake Forest claimed the doubles point with two 6-2 wins. The Irish managed to mount a bit of a comeback in singles, as they did against Georgia Tech, but this time, it simply wasn’t enough. Sophomores Matt Gamble and Guillermo fell handily early on, while freshman Richard Ciamarra was defeated 3-6, 6-1, 6-4 in a comeback effort from No.4 Petros Chysochos. Junior Alex Lebedev, freshman Tristan McCormick and junior Grayson Broadus managed to stay alive in their matches, but the matches were ultimately abandoned with a Wake Forest victory in the books.

Notre Dame will now wait to see if it has earned an NCAA tournament bid. The NCAA men’s tennis selection show is set to take place on Tuesday, May 1.

Tags: , , , , ,