-

-

ND Women’s Tennis

Jay Louderback announces retirement as Irish women’s tennis coach

| Thursday, May 3, 2018

After leading Notre Dame’s women’s tennis program for 29 seasons, head coach Jay Louderback announced Thursday he will retire from coaching to spend more time with his family.

Louderback, who was hired in fall 1989 to lead a program that had played at the Division I level for just four years at the time, retires as the program’s all-time winningest coach. The Arkansas City, Kansas, native has amassed a record of 544-258 during his tenure with the Irish, leading them to 24 NCAA championship appearances — including 22 straight from 1996-2017 — and 19 conference championships — 13 coming in the Big East and six coming in the Midwestern Collegiate Conference.

“To quote Lou Gehrig, ‘Today I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth,’” Louderback said in a press release. “I am retiring after 29 years at Notre Dame to spend more time with my wife, Denise, and our family. I didn’t realize when [former director of athletics] Dick Rosenthal hired me in 1989 it would be such a life-changing experience.

“Notre Dame has been such a special place to coach because of the amazing student-athletes and outstanding athletics staff. I would like to thank the assistant coaches, administrators, fellow coaches and everyone associated with the University that I have had the pleasure of working alongside. I will treasure all of the experiences I have shared with our student-athletes and look forward to being Notre Dame’s biggest fan.”

Louderback was also named the ITA National Coach of the Year in 2006 and won conference coaching honors 14 times, including being named Big East Coach of the Year 11 times. He took the Irish as far as the Final Four of the NCAA championships twice, with the appearances coming back-to-back years in 2009 and 2010.

“For nearly three decades, Jay Louderback has fielded great teams, helped to shape the lives of his students and represented the University with great skill and grace,” director of athletics Jack Swarbrick said in the release. “His impact has been enormous and so too will be the loss we will feel in his absence.”

Notre Dame will commence a national search for the program’s next head coach, which would be its sixth, according to the press release.