-

-

Track and Field

Irish stars pace team to indoor and outdoor success

| Friday, May 18, 2018

Having already completed a largely successful winter campaign, the Irish are looking to bring the outdoor season to a successful conclusion as they move into the postseason.

Over the course of the indoor season, both the Irish men’s and women’s squads were able to put together strong performances. After a regular season marked by tenacity and personal bests, the Irish competed in postseason meets. 

Both distance medley relays ended up placing in the top three at the indoor ACC championship meet in February. The men’s team of graduate student Jacob Dumford, junior Edward Cheatham, sophomore Clay Goldman and freshman Yared Nuguse earned second place with a time of 9:40.14. On the women’s side, the team made up of junior Kelly Hart and seniors Payton Miller, Samantha Murray and Jessica Harris picked up third place overall. Harris provided one of the biggest highlights of the meet for the Irish, posting the best mile time in the conference for the second consecutive indoor season. Harris’s final time was 4:38.58.

Emma Farnan | The Observer

Irish senior Jessica Harris competes at the Meyo Invitational on Feb. 3 at Loftus Center

The men’s distance medley relay made a big splash at the indoor NCAA championship meet as well. On Feb. 22, Dumford, Cheatham and Nuguse teamed up with graduate student Elijah Silva to win a silver medal in the event, finishing with a time of 9:31.22.

Harris finished eighth in the nation in the mile at the indoor NCAA championship meet with a time of 4:37.22, earning first-team All-American honors in the process.

The Irish have sought to build off of the winter’s success with a strong outdoor campaign.

Graduate pole vaulter Nathan Richartz has been one of the biggest storylines for the Irish this spring. Richartz has dominated his event — undefeated this spring. On March 16, Richartz set a new school record in the event, clearing the bar at 5.60-meter during the Hurricane Invitational in Miami. On May 11, Richartz won his third career ACC title in the event, this time clearing 5.70-meters to break the school record, meet record and tying the ACC record. 

The Irish have had their fair share of success on the track as well this spring. Notre Dame athletes picked up various top finishes in competitive meets across the country. Notably, the Irish made a major impact at Philadelphia’s Penn Relays. Junior distance runner Anne Rohrer placed first overall in the 1000-meter run and was named College Women’s Athlete of the Meet for Individual Events. The Irish women’s shuttle hurdles relay also picked up a first place finish at the storied meet. At the ACC championships in Coral Gables, Florida, from May 10-12, the women’s team finished ninth with 49 points and the men’s team finished 12th with 35.5 points.

The NCAA East regional meet will run from May 24-26 in Tampa, Florida, and the NCAA championship meet will take place from June 7-9 in Eugene, Oregon.

Tags: , , , , , , ,