-

-

ND Women’s Golf

Notre Dame set to compete for spot in NCAA championship at Madison regional

| Wednesday, May 2, 2018

The Irish are headed back to the NCAA tournament for the first time since 2016, as they found out April 25 that they will be the No. 12 seed in the Madison regional. Action is set to take place at University Ridge Golf Course in Madison, Wisconsin, from Monday to Wednesday next week.

This year’s NCAA tournament qualification marks the 10th time under head coach Susan Holt that the Irish have qualified for postseason play and just the 12th time in program history. Of those 11 previous regional appearances, Notre Dame has only advanced to the NCAA championship once, finishing in 22nd place in 2011. 24 teams and 12 individuals will qualify for the championship from regional play, which features 72 teams and 24 individuals between the four regional sites — the other three sites being TPC Harding Park in San Francisco, hosted by Stanford; University of Texas Golf Club in Austin, Texas, hosted by Texas; and Don Veller Seminole Golf Course & Club in Tallahassee, Florida, hosted by Florida State. The NCAA championship is scheduled for May 18-23 at Karsten Creek Golf Club in Stillwater, Oklahoma.

The Irish missed the tournament last year for the first time since 2007, snapping what was a nine-year streak at the time. However, junior Emma Albrecht became the second golfer in program history to qualify as an individual entrant for regional play, as Noriko Nakasaki — who qualified as an individual in 2007 — is the only other Irish female to do so. Albrecht went on to tie for 13th place in the Columbus regional, shooting an 8-over-par 224, with her placement ending up as the second-best finish by a Notre Dame women’s golfer in NCAA regional play.

The 12th-seeded Irish will compete at the Madison regional at University Ridge Golf Course in Madison, Wisconsin, starting Monday.