-

-

Oppman, Lorenc reflect on year in office

| Friday, May 18, 2018

Bailey Oppman and Lydia Lorenc, Saint Mary’s student body president and vice president emeritus, set out to use their term to make several changes to the Saint Mary’s community.

One of the things I was most excited to accomplish was the student 5k fun run/walk to promote a healthy lifestyle,” Lorenc said in an email. “With the new Angela [Athletic and Wellness] facility opening, we wanted to emphasize the importance of wellness in a way that incorporated our favorite spots on campus. This is was something new on our platform that hadn’t really been done in the SMC community before.”

Oppman and Lorenc had several goals they wished to accomplish over the year. These goals included organizing the Sister Sprint 5k, continuing Monthly Mingle events, updating Student Government Association (SGA)’s policies and promoting sustainability.

I think one of my proudest accomplishments as student body president and vice president has been our ability to work diligently to accomplish some of our biggest goals on our platform,” Oppman said in an email. “This included … partnering with BAVO to educate students on sexual assault and violence.”

Reflecting upon her year in office, Lorenc said one aspect of the vice presidency she liked the most was representing Saint Mary’s in various capacities.

One of my favorite parts of being vice president was being able to represent our school at the Notre Dame football game,” Lorenc said. “Being on the field presenting the flag was such a surreal moment. And I really enjoyed wearing my Saint Mary’s College sweater with pride.”

Oppman said for her, the best part of the job was the chance to interact with the college community.

My favorite part of being student body president was the privilege I had to work alongside so many talented individuals,” Oppman said. “From planning student events to giving input for the college’s strategic plan, I have met and collaborated with so many incredible and dedicated people.”

Being student body president allowed Oppman the opportunity to practice patience even when it was difficult for her, she said.

“I think I learned the power of patience,” Oppman said. “I am a natural ‘go-getter’ and I like things to be done quickly and efficiently. However, my role as student body president taught me to be more patient especially when working with others. Patience is key … and I think my experiences throughout the last year taught me that.”

While Oppman and Lorenc said they had a great experience over the past year, they also said they learned a lot through the job. Oppman and Lorenc hope to pass on these lessons with the 2018-2019 student body president and vice president, juniors Madeleine Corcoran and Kathy Ogden.

One of the biggest pieces of advice I want to pass on to Madeleine and Kathy for next year is to just breathe and enjoy the ride,” Lorenc said. “Time flies so fast, and there are so many things to take in. From sitting on seven committees, to representing the student body with the Board of Trustees, serving as student leaders is very rewarding. Try not to get caught up in the endless to-do list, but sit back and take in the impact you are making as a student leader.”

Tags: , , , , , , ,

About Jordan Cockrum

Jordan Cockrum is a senior at Saint Mary's studying Communications and Humanistic Studies. She currently serves as Saint Mary's Editor.

Contact Jordan