-

-

SMC Golf

Saint Mary’s rallies together to win conference title

| Friday, May 18, 2018

St. Mary’s concluded its season at the NCAA Division III Championships last week, finishing tied for 18th place overall with a total three-day score of 1071. The Belles had record-setting performances during the fall and spring seasons, winning the Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) conference championship and obtaining a first-place finish in the MIAA NCAA Automatic Qualifier playoff round. Belles head coach Kim Moore had a lot of praise for her team for reaching new heights.

“I felt our season was very successful this year. Our fall season — we had one of the best fall seasons in our school history — we ended up breaking our 18-hole school record. In our conference championship, scored one of the best 36-hole scores in our conference history as well as our school history,” Moore said.

“We ended up winning our conference championship, which was one of our fall [season] goals. Our players performed really well, a lot of young talent. Going into the spring with pretty challenging weather we performed pretty well as well,” she added. “Winning our conference qualifying tournament, that was our next goal to get us into the NCAA
[Championship]. Overall, very successful and [I’m] very proud of the team.”

Coach Moore attributed her team’s success to two main points: the chemistry between her players and the work ethic displayed by each player.

“I think the biggest contributor [to our season’s success] was sisterhood between our players. They really rallied around each other, had some great expectations coming into this season, knew they had some good opportunities ahead and really gathered around each other — [they] helped push each other,” she said.

“Everyone was supportive of each other and I think that goes a long way within our team. And, just the work ethic our players had this year. They knew they had great opportunities this year and they met their goals,” Moore said. “I would definitely contribute [our season’s success] to our team chemistry and the way we came together this season.”

About Charlie Ortega Guifarro

Contact Charlie