-

-

SMC Lacrosse

Belles finish second in MIAA again

| Friday, May 18, 2018

In its fifth year, the Saint Mary’s lacrosse program was able to become a dominant force on the field and smash records in nearly every category, finishing second in the MIAA for the second consecutive year.

The Belles began their season by fighting through rain and snow at home to top Elmhurst 20-12, with freshman midfielder Erin Doyle setting a new school record for goals in one game with eight. Continuing the trend in the second game, Doyle matched her record in a smashing of Puget Sound, 21-3. The Belles continued the momentum of their first two wins with two more against Pacific by a score of 19-2 and 20-2 win over Linfield, against which Doyle managed another eight goals.

Caitlyn Jordan | The Observer

Belles junior midfielder Kate Kelly surveys the field during Saint Mary’s 10-4 win over Trine on April 12, 2016.

After losing their next three games, the Belles earned a much-needed 20-4 victory over Concordia Chicago, led by junior Molly Stout who registered a career high five goals. Riding the wave of confidence, the Belles would continue to win their next five consecutive games against Alma, Olivet, Trine, Kalamazoo and a nail biting overtime win against Hope with sophomore Kendra Osinski scoring a free position goal in overtime to secure the win for the Belles.

But the overtime luck of the Belles did not last through a grueling overtime match against the Calvin Knights, resulting in a 16-15 loss on Senior Day. Undaunted, Saint Mary’s offense put on a clinic the following game, defeating Adrian 23-7 and registering a new record high for total goals in a game.

Although their regular season ended with a loss, the Belles squared off against the Albion Brits and toppled them in the first round of the MIAA Tournament. Freshman goalie Emily Kraker had 14 saves in goal for the Belles to earn a slim victory, 13-12. While the Belles lost the tournament finale against No. 1 seed Calvin, 16-8, Saint Mary’s secured second place in the MIAA tournament to propel the young team to future success.