-

-

Thank you Observer

| Friday, May 18, 2018

Lately I’ve been asking myself, “what has my Notre Dame experience meant to me?” And that question is full of many pieces: Breen-Phillips hall, the Program of Liberal Studies, football games, South Bend, working at the library and, of course, The Observer.

I started photographing for The Observer the second semester of my freshman year, and while there have been times when I’ve been ridiculously frustrated with the job, I wouldn’t go back and change it because it has in many ways shaped college for me. I made friends while working long nights at the paper, and spent hours in the basement of South Dining Hall sorting through random but fascinating events.

I got to shoot on the sidelines of Notre Dame football games, an experience that nothing can really compare to. I spent so many evenings laughing with classmates and strangers over the stupid question of the day that I’d come up with on the spot (my personal favorite will always be “what was your last google search?”).

There were also the times I was denied by four people in a row for the question of the day — those are the less-than-good memories that taught me to keep going until the job got done.

The photo department is an interesting one to be part of, because it’s less integrated into the paper as a whole. Although those of us in the photo crew stick together, I loved getting to know people in other departments during nightly production. You come to recognize the silliness that sets in around midnight, and the exhaustion at about 2 a.m. when you know it’ll be a long night.

The Observer is a huge operation. The people that make it run smoothly every day of the week impress me to no end. I’m grateful to have worked with them and learned from their professionalism and dedication. I’ve always known that Notre Dame is a unique and special place, but being part of The Observer convinced me of it.

About Rosie LoVoi

Contact Rosie