-

-

University determines construction of new parking garage not currently feasible

| Wednesday, May 9, 2018

After “completing an extensive study,” the University Parking Committee decided the construction of a new parking garage is not viable at this time, executive vice president John Affleck-Graves said in an email to the Notre Dame community Wednesday afternoon.

Notre Dame began assessing the possibility of a parking garage — most likely at the current site of Legends — in February and sent a survey to the community asking for feedback.

Affleck-Graves said the results of this survey were used to determine whether a parking garage would be financially viable.

“When I introduced the study to campus in February, I shared that since parking garages are much more expensive to build and maintain than surface parking, the University would seek to break even on the construction and operating costs of a parking garage, if it were to be constructed,” Affleck-Graves said in the email. “Many of you took the time to share your thoughts on how and when you would use the services of a parking garage if one were to be constructed, and your feedback informed the overall financial estimates.”

The survey results determined the demand for a new parking garage would not meet the costs of construction and operation, Affleck-Graves said.

“After completing an extensive study, we have determined that there is not sufficient demand to offset the associated costs of building a parking garage at the University at this time,” he said in the email. “If we believe that there may be sufficient interest in a parking garage in future years, we would be open to re-visiting the feasibility of constructing a parking garage at that time.”

Affleck-Graves said the University will continue to take feedback regarding the parking garage possibility into consideration.

“Finally, I would like to thank the Parking Committee, all of the students, faculty and staff who completed the survey and submitted comments, and all those who dedicated their time and expertise to studying the feasibility of a parking garage at the University,” he said in the email. “The thoughtful, detailed comments and survey responses will continue to guide the University as we continue to explore parking options.”

About Observer Staff Report

Contact Observer Staff Report