-

-

Vandalism incident reported in Riley Hall

| Tuesday, May 1, 2018

An art installation on display was vandalized Thursday night, according to an email sent to art students Friday by Olivia Williamson, undergraduate and graduate studies coordinator for the department of art.

Editor’s Note: The artist who created the display that was vandalized, Charlie Ortega Guifarro, is a sports writer for The Observer.

At the time the email was sent, it was unknown who carried out the act. The display showcased Notre Dame students who are recipients of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA). The display’s content was thought to have been the motivation behind the vandalism.

“Due to the nature of the artist’s installation, we believe this to be politically motivated,” Williamson said in the email. “ … Although it is normal to feel strongly about particular pieces of art when viewing someone’s work, it is never acceptable to touch, modify or destroy them in any way.”

University spokesman Dennis Brown said in an email that such incidents are handled by Notre Dame Security Police (NDSP). After an investigation, a decision is made over whether charges or other further action is necessary.

“NDSP follows up on any information that can be gleaned in the course of investigating, and then determines what, if any, course of action should be taken related to charges,” he said.

About Observer Staff Report

Contact Observer Staff Report