-

-

Why I am ready to leave

| Friday, May 18, 2018

1. Tried all the coffee flavors at Waddick’s (blueberry coffee is still the best!)
  2. South Bend
  3. More variety of age groups (cute babies)
  4. Full-time salary
  5. Tired of seeing my ex across the quad
  6. New bars each week with new people
  7. No more physics homework that does not coincide with my major, but still is supposed to change my “way of thinking about a solution”
  8. Freedom on the weekends and in the evenings
  9. Work that addresses my specific interests
  10. No more paying $300 for a book

I think every stage in life serves a purpose. That purpose differs from person to person. I am not necessarily ready to leave college solely because of my eagerness to branch out, or lack of coffee options. I am ready to leave because my college experience has served its role in my life.

I entered college with high hopes. I would become a president for a club or start my own company. I would get high honors and go to some prestigious grad school.

I didn’t do any of that.

My college experience was no greater than any one else’s. If anything, it was normal and unremarkable. Not one thing I did was not done by someone else before me, or would not be repeated by someone after me.  

And I do not regret any of that. I did not get any awards, but I realized that true friends get you a bunch of roses and cheese for Valentine’s Day. I am not going to grad school, but I realized that staying up late talking with a friend is more valuable and memorable than studying for your 8 a.m. exam the next day.

I realized that I entered college confident of the direction for my life. Many people said I would discover the person I am in college. And that did happen to an extent, and I learned a million things about myself during my four years. But at the same time, I have five million more things I have to learn.

Each year of college I grew more and more unaware of how lost I maybe was in my self-discovery process. I still can’t exactly pinpoint why I make some actions or decisions. That’s all still to come, and think I need a different environment to better understand myself.

Now what I learned, how I grew and my initial dreams for college are not the same as everyone else’s. But that’s the point. Everyone has different goals for college and different ways to reflect about those goals. And that’s just that. Some people are meant to be in your life for a short period of time, and that’s ok. College can also be meant for a short — wonderful and valuable — period of your life, and that’s OK. There can be beautiful things in your life that you don’t want to end. But you can’t stay stagnant forever.

About Sarah Olson

Contact Sarah