-

-

Baseball

Three Irish players selected in 2018 MLB Draft

| Friday, June 8, 2018

Three Notre Dame players were selected in the 2018 MLB Draft on Tuesday and Wednesday. Seniors Matt Vierling, Nick Podkul and Cole Daily became the 115th, 116th and 117th draft picks in program history, respectively.

Vierling, who splits his time between center field and third base, was selected  Tuesday in the fifth round of the draft by the Philadelphia Phillies with the 137th overall pick. Vierling, who hails from St. Louis, proved a crucial force at the plate for Notre Dame this season, his junior year, recording a batting average of .310 with 10 home runs and 43 RBIs. In his sophomore season, Vierling led the Irish in batting average (.330), slugging percentage (.549) and RBIs (42) and earned All-ACC honors. Vierling received second team All-ACC honors in 2018, and he is the third player in Notre Dame history to be drafted by the Phillies.

Podkul, a second baseman, was also selected on Tuesday in the seventh round of the MLB Draft by the Toronto Blue Jays with the 206th overall pick. The 116th player in program history to be selected in the draft, Podkul received second team All-ACC honors in 2018, batting .312 with 40 RBIs and 24 extra-base hits on the season and ranking seventh in the ACC in on base-percentage (.439). The Schererville, Indiana, native becomes the seventh Irish baseball player to be drafted by the Toronto Blue Jays in program history.

Daily, a shortstop, was selected on the final day of the 2018 MLB Draft in the 22nd round by the Washington Nationals with the 671st overall pick. Daily was critical for the Irish on the field this season, recording a sterling defensive season which included turning 33 double-plays and recording merely seven errors. The Springfield, Illinois, native started all 54 games at shortstop and led the Irish in stolen bases in 2018. Daily is the third Notre Dame player to be picked by the Nationals in franchise history.

Tags: , , , , , ,