-

-

ND Women’s Tennis

Alison Silverio named head coach

| Friday, July 6, 2018

The University announced Friday that Alison Silverio would be taking over the head coaching position of the Irish women’s tennis squad.

“We’re thrilled to welcome Alison to the Notre Dame family,” Irish director of athletics Jack Swarbrick said in a statement. “Her playing career, including a national championship at Georgia Tech, speaks for itself. During her time as a coach, she has contributed to the improvement of each and every program she has touched. Alison is the perfect person to take the reins of our women’s tennis program and we couldn’t be more excited about the impact she will have on our student-athletes.”

Silverio is heading to Notre Dame after building one of the nation’s top program turnarounds at Oregon. She takes over for the retiring Jay Louderback, who led the Irish to 24 NCAA tournament appearances over his 29-season tenure.

“I believe in the integrity, the academic and athletic superiority and the Catholic mission revered by the University of Notre Dame,” Silverio said in the statement. “Therefore, it is my distinct honor and privilege to assume the role of Notre Dame’s head’s tennis coach. It is with sincere gratitude and appreciation that I thank [University president] Fr. [John] Jenkins, Jack Swarbrick and [assistant athletics director] Heidi Uebelhor for entrusting me to lead, coach and educate our Fighting Irish student-athletes.

“My objective will be to build on the rich legacy that Jay Louderback and our alumnae have created for our program. I am committed to a relentless work ethic to enhance a student-athlete experience and a championship culture. Notre Dame and our women’s tennis program represent everything excellent in collegiate athletics. Our student-athletes will continue to uphold our ethical standard and tradition both on and off the court. Be assured of my utmost esteem and respect for Notre Dame.”

While playing at Georgia Tech, Silverio helped lead the Yellow Jackets to the 2007 NCAA title. She clinched the national championship with a singles win, garnering NCAA tournament MVP honors. She also helped the Yellow Jackets to ACC titles from 2005-2007, earning ACC All-Tournament team honors twice and ACC Tournament MVP honors in 2005. As a senior, the Yellow Jackets captured the ITA National Indoor title for the first time in school history. Silverio left Georgia Tech as the program’s all-time leader in doubles wins (98), second in singles wins (107) and fourth in singles winning percentage (.711). The Louisville, Ohio, native was a four-time selection to both the ACC Honor Roll and ACC All-Academic team while winning the ITA Scholar-Athlete Award in 2005 and 2007. As a senior, Silverio won the ITA Arthur Ashe Sportsmanship and Leadership Award, the Cissie Leary Award for Sportsmanship and an ACC Postgraduate Scholarship.

At Oregon, Silverio led the Ducks to their first NCAA tournament appearance in a decade in 2017, and helped them earn their first NCAA tournament win in 14 years alongside their highest-ever national ranking at No. 17 last season. Silverio’s head coaching debut at Oregon followed assistant coaching stints in the ACC at her alma mater and at North Carolina State. As an assistant coach at Georgia Tech, Silverio helped assemble the nation’s top-ranked recruiting class in 2012, along with the No. 6 signing class in 2013. The 2013 season also saw her help guide the nation’s top-ranked doubles team, which won the ITA National Indoor doubles championship and the ITA Regional doubles title, while capping back-to-back NCAA Sweet 16 appearances for the Yellow Jackets.