-

-

DPAC hosts art crawl

| Thursday, August 23, 2018

In celebration of the arts at Notre Dame, the DeBartolo Performing Arts Center hosted its annual event, Art Attack @ DPAC, featuring live performances by a number of performing arts groups on campus including PEMCo, The Echoes, Halftime, Notre Dame Swing and Unchained Melodies, along with information tables regarding jobs involving the arts, auditions and upcoming shows. 

Art Attack @ DPAC is a chance for the performing, visual and literary arts at Notre Dame to be recognized and to recruit new members who have an interest in the arts. 

Emma Farnan | The Observer

A student visits a booth at Art Attack @ DPAC.

Senior Lydia Costello, executive producer of Not So Royal Shakespeare Company, said she joined the club her freshman year and subsequently found an amazing community and lifelong friends.

“I think the strong community aspect is really the case with a lot of the performing arts clubs on campus, and I think that’s why we have such a thriving arts community as a whole on Notre Dame’s campus,” Costello said.

Senior and artistic director of the Pasquerilla East Musical Company Shane Dolan said the arts at Notre Dame was a supportive community.

“We encourage people to get involved and audition even if they are scared because the community will help support them,” Dolan said. “And if people aren’t interested in performing we also have a community for backstage work, directing, stage managing, helping with costuming and more.”

Freshman Zoe Case, who attended the event to learn more about the arts at Notre Dame, said the event encouraged her to audition for a few of the performing arts clubs.

“I was involved in a lot of visual arts clubs in high school, but not any performing arts clubs,” Case said.  “After coming to [Art Attack], though, I feel comfortable joining a couple of the clubs here because the community seems so great.”

The event also provided students with information regarding the visual arts. Sophomore Meg Burns and junior Rachel Mills, representatives from the student programming committee at the Snite Museum of Art, promoted the museum’s various events for students on campus that are based on the works of art at the museum.

Mills said the Snite is a great resource on campus for students to enjoy.

“People walk by the museum all the time, but not that many people come in, so we are reimagining what the space of the art museum can be through collaborations with all different student groups,” Mills said.  “In the same way, letting people know in the beginning of the year how the arts can really connect to anything they are interested in through the variety of student groups we have [at the Art Attack], is important.” 

Senior and executive producer of Student Players Tyrel London said Student Players lets students “put on theater with a purpose.” 

“We look to plays that try to challenge structural inequality and systems of violence in a way that isn’t too didactic so people can digest that information better,” London said. “And that’s the reason why people should be involved in art. Art is the lens through which we can help make meaning in the world, and we live in a world where we could use some good meaning right now.”

Editor‘s note: a previous version of this story incorrectly stated the name of a student organization at the Art Attack @ DPAC. The name of the organization is the Not So Royal Shakespeare Company.

Tags: ,

About Serena Zacharias

Contact Serena