-

-

Flick on the Field returns to Notre Dame Stadium with Rudy screening

| Friday, August 24, 2018

Notre Dame’s Flick on the Field is returning this Friday night to Notre Dame Stadium for the second year in a row.

Co-directors of student life, senior Claire Marie Kuhn and junior Eduardo Luna, are leading the group behind the operation, a team that includes members from student government to the University’s administration.

Seniors Gates McGavick and Corey Gayheart, student body president and vice president, wanted to continue the tradition because of its massive success last year, Kuhn said.

“Luckily SAO and one of its partners, Venue ND, came to us and said [they will] cover the operational costs if student government wants to run it,” Kuhn said. “Because it had been so successful, [student government] decided they wanted to make it an annual thing and Notre Dame stepped up.”

Once the cost was covered, there was no doubt that Kuhn and Luna wanted to host the event.

“This was too good an offer to turn down. Students really liked it and the South Bend community enjoyed it a lot,” Kuhn said. “Plus, it’s the 25th anniversary of the movie. It’s too perfect not to do this.”

The event is particularly special for freshman, who will have the opportunity for the first time to see “Rudy” on the video board the Friday before football season begins, Luna said.

“It’s a really great intro experience for everyone in general,” Luna said. “A lot of the student body and people in general involved with student government get to interact with the freshmen that are just barely getting in-tune with the whole system here at Notre Dame and just making them feel welcome.”

Kuhn and Luna want to maintain the atmosphere of Welcome Weekend and said they plan to do so by calling out dorm names for people to cheer. In addition to featuring dorm spirit, concessions will be offered, an area will be open for football tossing and a student DJ will perform before the movie.

After executing Flick on the Field last year, organizers have gained valuable experience that will help them with directing this year’s event, Luna said.

“Last year, it was definitely an experimental event. It was the first of its kind,” he said. “A lot of people are prepared by comparison to last year so we know what works and what doesn’t work and everyone is in a better position at the moment to get all that operational stuff going.”

This second edition of Flick on the Field continues an ongoing trend of opening up Notre Dame Stadium beyond football games, Kuhn said.

“Luckily with everything that’s going on, with Venue ND and the Garth Brooks concert and Notre Dame getting more comfortable with having events in the stadium, we’re going to be prepared to have more [people] than we’re expecting,” she said. “It will be well-run in my opinion.”

Game-day policies apply for the event, including the new clear-bag policy. Tickets were distributed Thursday night at Duncan Student Center’s “Best of Duncan” and are also available Friday at 5:30 p.m. on Library quad.  

“Go with new friends, bring a blanket and just soak up the experience because it is once in a lifetime,” Kuhn said.

About Nicole Simon

Contact Nicole