Former U.S. President Jimmy Carter to speak at Notre Dame

Jimmy Carter, the 39th President of the United States, and former First Lady Rosalynn Carter will speak at Purcell Pavilion on Sunday during the 2018 Carter Work Project Opening Ceremonies, according to an email sent to the Notre Dame community.

According to the email, the Carter Work project is in its 35th year. Hosted by Habitat for Humanity of St. Joseph County, the “annual building blitz” will involve the construction of 23 new homes over five days. The Carters and country musicians Garth Brooks and Trisha Yearwood will assist volunteers and “future homeowners” in building the houses in Mishawaka throughout the week.

University President Fr. John Jenkins will speak at the event, as well as Jonathan Reckford, CEO of Habitat for Humanity International and Jim Williams, president of Habitat for Humanity of St. Joseph County.

Carter has visited Notre Dame several times, the email said. In 1977 — his first year in office — the former president delivered the Commencement Address. He and his wife were recognized with the first Notre Dame Award in 1992, and in March 2015, he delivered a speech at a tribute for University President Emeritus Fr. Theodore Hesburgh.

The hour-long Opening Ceremonies are free and do not require tickets. Doors will open at 4:30 p.m.