-

-

ND Women’s Soccer

Irish battle Bilikens in draw

| Monday, August 27, 2018

Connor Mulvena | The Observer

The No. 14 Irish battled out a 1-1 tie in two overtimes at home against Saint Louis on Friday night to open the 2018 season in new head coach Chad Riley’s first game.

The Billikens (3-1-2) came back to tie the game in the last 19 seconds of regulation before the game ended after two scoreless overtimes.

The teams each had control ofthe game for part of the half with the Irish (0-0-1) owning possession in the first 20 minutes and the Bilikins taking over in the remaining time. At the end of the first 45 minutes, Saint Louis had four shots, one on frame, while Notre Dame had one shot on target.

“I think Saint Louis did a good job overall,” Riley said. “Any time a team disrupts what you are hoping to do you have to credit your opponent. They went a little more direct in the second half — which challenges any team — but I think for the most part we stood up to it.”

After struggling to create chances in the first half, senior defender Felicien Dumas took advantage of a free kick on the left side outside of the box 18 minutes into the second half. Dumas sent the ball over to the far right post where unmarked graduate student defender Patrick Berneski tapped the ball into the net for a 1-0 lead.

Saint Louis increased the pressure after the Irish goal as Billikens senior midfielder Lennart Hein slid into the box with his left foot making contact off of a ball sent over Irish heads and forcing senior goalkeeper RyanKrutz to tip the ball over the net to prevent the equalizer.

Peter St. John | The Observer

Irish junior midfielder Jack Casey takes the ball down the field during Notre Dame’s 2-1 overtime victory over Northwestern on Oct. 4 at Alumni Stadium.

With 19 seconds left in regulation time, Billikens senior forward Anthony Brown headed the ball in off of a free kick around midfield from freshman defender freshman Chase Niece to level the score at 1 and push the game into overtime.

“We’ll learn a lot from [the goal],” Riley said. “Really have to be careful giving away fouls at the end and think we gave away one we didn’t need to going have to deal with.”

Heading into the second overtime, Saint Louis failed to capitalize on a corner and, with around three minutes left, Billikens junior David Viox tried to pull out a win by catching Krutz out of position. Krutz, outside of the six yard box, jumped to stop the ball and kept the score level.

“At the end of day I’m proud,” Riley said. “The team stuck together [and] communication was good.”

Tags: , , , , ,

About Meagan Bens

Meagan is a junior Visual Communication Design major and Journalism, Ethics, and Democracy minor living in Lyons Hall. She serves as a sports writer and hails from the suburbs of Chicago.

Contact Meagan