-

-

ND Women’s Soccer

Irish fall for first time this season to Butler

| Monday, August 27, 2018

Zachary Yim | The Observer

No. 20 Notre Dame sustained its first loss of the season Sunday, falling to Butler by a score of 4-1. The Bulldogs (3-0) capitalized on offensive opportunities, especially in the second half, and were able to outscore the Irish.

Within the game’s first two minutes, Butler was able to take a 1-0 lead off a goal from senior forward Paige Monaghan. Both teams were able to put together several other scoring chances over the course of the half, but the score would remain unaltered for the remainder of the period.

Aside from the early goal, the Irish (3-1) were largely able to keep pace with Butler in the first half. Notre Dame outshot the Bulldogs 8-5 in the match’s first 45 minutes. Both teams put three of their first half shots on goal.

The second half began with a pair of corner kicks and some scoring chances for the Irish, but Butler was able to take a commanding lead shortly afterward. After coming into the game just before the 56-minute mark, freshman Butler midfielder Morgan Kloosterman scored with 32:31 left to play. Butler’s lead increased to 3-0 in the 62nd minute when freshman midfielder Katie Soderstrom added another goal for the Bulldogs.

The Irish would score a goal of their own in the 69th minute, when freshman forward Olivia Wingate found the back of the net off of an assist from junior forward Jen Westendorf. However, despite a few more scoring chances, the Irish would be unable to get the ball across the goalline for the remainder of the match.

Butler made the score 4-1 in the 89th minute off another goal from Monaghan. The forward provided the most offense of any player, taking six shots (five on goal), scoring twice and making one assist.

Wingate was an offensive leader, finishing the game with four shots (three on goal) and scoring once. Sophomore midfielder Sammi Fisher added five shots to the Irish total, and freshman goalkeeper Mattie Interian finished the match with five saves.

The Irish did manage to outshoot the Bulldogs 16-15 over the course of the whole match but Butler was able to make nine shots on goal compared to six for the Irish.

Notre Dame will look to bounce back at home when they return to the pitch Thursday against Cincinnati (2-1). The match is set to kick off at 7 p.m. at Alumni Stadium.