-

-

Kavanaugh should not be appointed

| Wednesday, August 22, 2018

We have been struck by the fervor of those who oppose the choice movement and the ways in which that fervor blinds so many to the attack on life waged every day by members of the pro-life right. That gap, between voting for “pro-life” candidates and those candidates’ dangerous anti-abortion policies, has manifested itself in Judge Brett Kavanaugh’s appointment to the Supreme Court.

Judge Kavanaugh will inflict an insurmountable amount of damage to the true pro-life cause. Overturning Roe v. Wade will be an extremely large blow to life and dignity. The right to an abortion is already the only constitutional right delegated to second-class protections, but if it were fully criminalized, women would turn to the dangerous and deadly practices of pre-Roe to obtain abortions. A woman could again be forced to endure the trauma of carrying a child to term against her will, regardless of the circumstances of its conception. These conditions demean the dignity of women and show an inherent disregard for women’s lives. This is not pro-life.

Beyond abortion, Judge Kavanaugh’s confirmation would inflict lasting damage to the true ideals of the pro-life movement. The removal of protections for pre-existing conditions will result in loss of life. In 2009, Harvard researchers estimated that the inability to access health care resulted in 45,000 preventable deaths. Come future challenges to the Affordable Care Act, this new conservative-leaning court is likely to strip away key protections of the ACA, leaving millions without care and leading to many unnecessary deaths. This is not pro-life.

In addition, it is proven that almost 33,000 people die every year as a result of guns. The Court has defended the individual’s right to bear arms, most notably in the case District of Columbia v. Heller. Yet even in that case, Justice Antonin Scalia affirmed the need for common-sense gun control. Kavanaugh, on the other hand, views the regulations on firearms as equivalent to restrictions on speech (only permissible in the narrowest of circumstances) even though it is proven that states with more gun regulations have fewer deaths. This is not pro-life.

So, we ask those who would call for Kavanaugh’s confirmation on the grounds that he would be a truly pro-life judge to consider the other ramifications of his appointment. If you are pro-life you must recognize how thoroughly unsuitable a man like Brett Kavanaugh is for the Supreme Court. Though he may be anti-choice, Brett Kavanaugh is certainly not pro-life.

Sheila Gregory and Lia Rocchino

Bridging the Gap

Sheila Gregory serves on the College Democrats Leadership Board and is a junior studying political science and public service. Lia Rocchino is the co-president of College Democrats and is a senior studying history, gender studies and medieval studies. BridgeND is a bipartisan student political organization that brings together people from all across the ideological spectrum to discuss public policy issues of national importance. They can be reached at [email protected]

About BridgeND

BridgeND is a bipartisan student political organization that brings together Democrats, Republicans, and all those in between to discuss public policy issues of national importance. They meet Tuesday nights (starting Sept.8) from 8-9pm in the McNeil room of LaFortune. They can be reached at [email protected] or by following them on Twitter @bridge_ND

Contact Bridge