-

-

Sports Authority

Mulvena: I don’t need football this year

| Friday, August 24, 2018

It’s good to be back, and it’s even better to be back as football season fast approaches. Between fantasy football drafts, Hard Knocks on HBO and Stephen A. Smith boisterously shouting “Aaaaaaaron Rodgers … is a bad man,” this time of year is like an extended Christmas eve for sports fans. After the grueling dog days of dreary summer baseball and the annual horrifying display put on by the New York Mets after an offseason of foolish hope, I look forward to a change of pace.

But this year, I couldn’t care less about the NFL. It has nothing to do with preseason penalties or concussion protocol, and it certainly has nothing to do with the national anthem. It has everything to do with one man, one majestic beast, primed for a display of prowess akin to a jaguar eager to pounce on a brocket deer of the Amazon. That man is Eldrick Tont Woods.

On Nov. 23rd of the year of our Lord 2018, Tiger Woods is set to face off against Phil Mickelson in a $9 million match play event. That is, one-on-one, mano a mano, in Las Vegas, for $9 million of their own money. It’s just awesome on so many levels.

First, Tiger and Phil are obviously legends of the game. Tiger, arguably the best golfer of all time (just kidding, he’s absolutely the best of all time) against Phil, the crafty lefty with a knack for surprises. These two have battled against one another time and time again on the PGA Tour for nearly two decades, and now there will be no one on the fairway and green but them, and them alone, attempting to match each other shot for shot. It’s a matchup for the ages.

Second, the match is a fantastic step forward for the sport of golf. Maybe this is just me being a hopeless romantic, but perhaps the snobby high brow sport that everyone finds boring is finally taking a hint. It’s the perfect way to spice things up a bit. Both players are seemingly entering the twilight of their careers. Tiger’s sudden resurgence and his storied history with Phil should provide plenty of storylines, drama and viewership.

Third, nine million dollars.

I simply don’t need football in my life with such an event on the horizon. There’s the Miracle on Ice, the Rumble in The Jungle, the Shot Heard ‘Round The World and then there’s this. This is going to be legendary, and I just can’t wait.

The Westgate Superbook in Las Vegas has Tiger at -180 to win the event and Phil at +150, so it should be a good match. But my money, and more importantly my heart, is with Big Cat.

Tags: ,

About Connor Mulvena

Contact Connor