-

-

Senate discusses clear bag policy, NDtoGo

| Tuesday, August 28, 2018

The Notre Dame student senate convened for its first official meeting of the year Monday night in the LaFortune Ballroom. During the meeting, members of the senate briefly discussed campus dining’s newest innovation — NDtoGo, an app that will allow students to order their food in advance and pick it up at various locations around campus. Senators also examined the new clear bag policy for events in Notre Dame stadium, which will be implemented starting this Saturday at the Notre Dame-Michigan game.

NDtoGo will utilize an app called Tapingo, allowing students to place their orders ahead of time at main locations of campus restaurants like Starbucks and Smashburger, Briana Tucker, student government chief of staff, said. Students who order using the app will also be able to track their order. Tucker said NDtoGo may eventually offer delivery services as well.

The senate was also briefed on the new clear bag guidelines for Notre Dame stadium events. Mike Seamon, vice president of campus safety and event management, and Keri Kei Shibata, chief of the Notre Dame Security Police Department, outlined the policy.

Seamon cited the April 2013 Boston Marathon bombing as the beginning of a series of additional safety procedures that would eventually lead to the clear bag policy.

“[We], like many other institutions across the country, both professional and collegiate and university sports, decided that we needed to do something,” Seamon said.

After the Marathon bombing, Notre Dame prohibited large bags and duffel bags from stadium events. In addition, security officers began examining all bags upon entry.

Seamon said this policy caused much controversy among game attendees about what size and styles of bags were acceptable. Notre Dame then decided to follow the lead of many other universities and professional sports teams and implement the clear bag policy.

Seamon then detailed the exact criterion that any bag must meet to be admitted into the stadium.

“A bag has to be clear and it cannot be bigger than 12 by 12 by 6 inches,” Seamon said.

Clear bags will still be inspected upon entry into the stadium, Seamon said. Purses or large wallets with dimensions no bigger than 4.5 by 6.5 inches will also be allowed in, and don’t necessarily need to be clear.

Shibata added that the clear bag policy will also increase efficiency because the security guards will be able to check the contents of people’s bags more quickly and thoroughly.

The presenters then opened up the floor for questions from senators.

One senator asked if the “clear” applied to red or green see-through plastic or even semi-clear frosted bags. Seamon and Shibata clarified that the bag must be completely clear to be allowed into the stadium.

Another senator broached the question of whether the clear bag policy would apply to the Duncan Student Center, O’Neill Family Hall, and the other buildings that attach to the stadium on game days.

Seamon responded by saying that as of midnight on a game or event day, the entire stadium, including its adjacent attached buildings, becomes a heightened zone of security. The entire complex, including O’Neill, Duncan, and Corbett Halls are all closed for a “variety of police sweeps,” Seamon said. Therefore, all of these buildings will be closed until two hours after the game.

About Claire Rafford

Claire Rafford is an English major and a Journalism, Ethics and Democracy minor from the class of 2021. She is originally from Tempe, Arizona. Her skills include excessive Harry Potter trivia knowledge. That is it.

Contact Claire