Shaun Crawford suffers torn ACL during practice

Notre Dame defensive back Shaun Crawford tore his ACL in practice Tuesday according to a report from Irish Sports Daily.

1506475655-e6450dca2a2ce58-1024x943
Irish senior cornerback Shaun Crawford celebrates after stripping the ball on the goal line and recovering the fumble in the endzone during Notre Dame’s 38-18 win over Michigan State on Sept. 23.

The senior from Lakewood, Ohio, has struggled with injuries throughout his college career. Crawford, who stands 5-foot-9 and 181-pounds, tore his right ACL as a freshman while an early Achilles injury suffered against Nevada, Notre Dame’s home opener that season, cut short his sophomore season. He has been battling back to consistently get on the field ever since.

While Crawford’s previous ACL tear was in his right knee, sources report that this tear is in the left one.

Crawford was set to compete for the starting role at the nickel position with senior Nick Coleman. Last year, during his first healthy season on the Irish roster, Crawford saw significant playing time. He recorded 32 tackles, 1.5 tackles for loss, 1.5 sacks, two interceptions, two forced recoveries and forced a fumble. In 2016, Crawford also added six tackles before going down to injury.