Moss' overtime goal wins it for Notre Dame

The first-ever program matchup between Notre Dame and Stony Brook didn’t disappoint. In the first overtime game of the season for the Irish, a header by freshman forward Kelly Moss 40 seconds into the overtime period gave the Irish a 1-0 victory at Alumni Stadium.

“It feels amazing. My dreams are full of [game-winning goals],” Moss said. “We really want to win, and its honestly an amazing feeling to contribute to the team. It’s always been a goal of mine to help the team and be a team player that makes a difference.”

The Irish (3-0) once again needed a late push in order to close out their opponent.

1535069774-a7bd6ef0e0d24e6-1024x925
Zachary Yim | The Observer
Irish senior defender Rachel Heard pursues the ball upfield during Notre Dame’s 3-0 loss to Duke on Sept. 21 at Alumni Stadium. This year, the Irish have started 3-0 and will face Duke again at home on Oct. 25.

“A lot of credit to Stony Brook — they played a great game, and I have a lot of respect for them and their coaching staff,” Irish head coach Nate Norman said. “I was proud of the way our team kept battling there, and we got the final goal at the end. We have to keep improving and keep growing. It will be a good season for us if we can keep growing from each game.”

Notre Dame’s scoring attack struggled most of the game to convert on shots on goal. In a scoreless first half, the Irish finished with nine shots on goal compared one by the Seawolves (1-2).

“We did have a couple slow starts. We’re working on our consistency at the end of the game. We really [wanted] to win,” Moss said. “Our goal is to win a national championship. We’re hungry and we’re doing everything it takes to get there.”

In the second half, the Seawolves were able to refocus their attack offensive attack and managed to string together six shots on goal in the second half, including a kick that almost managed to get pass junior goalkeeper Brooke Littman before freshman midfielder Brianna Martinez was able to kick the ball out of play to keep the game 0-0 in the 60th minute.

It appeared Notre Dame had broken the stalemate with a goal by junior midfielder Alexis Martell-Lamothe in the 67th minute, but the goal was waived off due to an offside penalty — the seventh offside penalty of the night on the Irish. Both teams struggled to make last-minute desperation shots, and a shot by junior forward Jennifer Westendorf sailed high to end regulation.

Seconds into the overtime period, however, the Irish got the goal that had eluded them most of the game on a cross by sophomore defender Jenna Winebrenner to Moss for her first career goal.

The Irish ultimately finished the game with 19 shots on goal. Despite the offensive struggles that plagued them throughout, Norman liked the way his team responded to adversity.

“I think we have to find ways even when we’re getting chances and not finishing them. It should make us hungrier the next chance,” Norman said. “I was happy the way we didn’t get discouraged and we kept going until we finally found that goal. We can be more efficient.”

The Irish will hit the road for the first time this season when they head to Indianapolis this Sunday to face off against in-state rival Butler, which has started its season with a 2-0 record.

“We know Butler is a very good opponent, and I think for us we have to continue to play the way we want to play and impose our will on the game,” Norman said.

Although, on a team that predominantly features underclassmen, younger players like Moss are happy that they can lean on the experience of the upperclassmen.

“We have so much depth because we are a young team,” Moss said. “We all have the same goal to win, get forward and be aggressive. I think we’re adjusting really well because of the togetherness we have as a team.”