A simple way to honor our nation's heroes

Throughout our history as an institution, Notre Dame has had a special relationship with America’s great military. During World War II, when Notre Dame’s enrollment fell sharply and the school was on the brink of financial collapse, we offered our institution up for the military’s use. The influx of young service members kept us afloat. In the 1960s when schools around the country were closing down their ROTC programs, Notre Dame supported the Naval Academy by allowing our campus to serve as a base for college naval recruitment. And of course, there’s a long and thrilling saga of football contests between the Irish and all three service academies. This history has led to a deep and mutual respect between Notre Dame and military institutions. When we say “God, Country, Notre Dame,” we proudly reaffirm our patriotism, acknowledging that being part of this great American experiment comes before any one school. While we can never begin to repay the debts we owe our service members and their families, we can try to show the depths of our gratitude for the sacrifices they’ve made on our behalf. That’s why this upcoming weekend is so special: You may have heard that Saturday’s matchup between the Irish and Vanderbilt is this year’s Military Appreciation Game. As your student body representatives, we wanted to join our community in honoring our nation’s heroes. To that end, from Sept. 12 to Sept. 14, you can get an exclusive “God, Country, Notre Dame” wristband with a donation of $5. All of the proceeds will be donated to the Notre Dame Veterans Funds, which helps offset tuition and living costs, and provides resources that enable military-connected students to continue their education here at Notre Dame. It’s our hope that people across campus decide to participate in this initiative — it’s a simple gesture, but together, we can send a message that this student body supports those who sacrifice to protect us. Sales will take place Sept. 12, 13 and 14 from 5:30 - 8:30 p.m. in both North and South Dining Halls, as well as from 6 - 7 p.m. on Library Quad for the Pep Rally on Friday. In short, this weekend is more than just another fantastic game day (although it certainly will be). It’s a chance to reflect on the blessing of living in America, and to offer our sincerest gratitude to those who make it possible. And it’s an opportunity to offer a gesture of our support, however small. We hope you’ll join us in appreciating our military this weekend, and we thank you for the privilege of representing this student body.

In Notre Dame,

Gates McGavick    

Student Body President

senior

Corey Gayheart       

Student Body Vice President

senior

Briana Tucker

Student Government Chief of Staff

senior

Sept. 11