-

-

ND Volleyball

DeJarld and Nunge named captains

| Thursday, September 13, 2018

Seniors Ryann DeJarld and Rebecca Nunge have been selected by their teammates as the 2018 captains of the Notre Dame volleyball team under head coach Mike Johnson, the team announced in a press release Wednesday.

With a Notre Dame-record 1,964 digs, Ryann DeJarld is the top libero in Irish history. In 2017, DeJarld managed to break the Notre Dame record for digs in a season, tallying 747 digs. Furthermore, she holds the Notre Dame record for career digs per set with 5.11. In her junior year, DeJarld earned All-ACC honors, the first Notre Dame player to do so since the program made the move to the ACC, and in 2017, she was named an American Volleyball Coaches Association Honorable Mention All-American. 

Nunge has similarly been a vital force for the Notre Dame volleyball team during her three-year tenure. In her career thus far, Nunge has recorded 736 kills, 303 blocks and 216 digs. In 2017, Nunge was named the Bowling Green State University/Toldeo Invitational MVP as a junior, and she has been selected to the Notre Dame Golden Dome Invitational All-Tournament Team two times in her career. Nunge has also earned ACC Academic honor roll distinctions three times while at Notre Dame.

The Irish will move forward to play with their new captains, as Notre Dame will hit the road to take on rival Michigan this weekend in a two-game series.