Diocese of Fort Wayne-South Bend publishes list of 18 priests "credibly accused" of sexual abuse of a minor

The Diocese of Fort Wayne-South Bend released the names of 18 priests who had been “credibly accused” of sexual abuse of a minor Tuesday.

Of these 18 priests, at least four have some past affiliation with the tri-campus community: Edward Krason, Paul LeBrun, Cornelius Ryan and James Trepanier. Three of the affiliated priests were are members of the Congregation of the Holy Cross (CSC). 

University vice president for public affairs and communications Paul Browne said none of the priests were the subject of complaints while at the University and that they were not employed by Notre Dame.

Krason pursued continuing education at Notre Dame in 1979.

Ryan was housed in Our Lady of Fatima House in Notre Dame. The place was formerly used as a retreat house before being converted into a residence for Holy Cross priests.

“He resided there after it was no longer used for retreats and served as a priest residence, and before allegations against him surfaced,” Browne said.

Lebrun was a CSC seminarian at the University, ordained in 1983, according to reports from WNDU and the South Bend Tribune. Lebrun also worked at St. Therese, Little Flower Parish in South Bend.

“The accusations and charges against LeBrun are well known, and he is serving a 111-year prison sentence,” Browne said.

Trepanier, another CSC priest, worked at Saint Mary’s Convent in 1994.

“Trepanier assisted at St. Mary’s convent, where he had no contact with minors. He is 89 years old, confined to a wheelchair and has no contact with minors to this day,” Browne said.

Browne said the CSC took reports of abuse at the hands of Holy Cross priests seriously.

“When Holy Cross superiors learned of complaints against the three priests, they removed them from their duties,” he said. “Where crimes were involved, the order reported them to the authorities.”

A number of priests named also served at schools and parishes where Notre Dame students regularly volunteer or attend services including St. Adalbert Parish; Holy Family Parish; St. Therese, Little Flower Parish; Marian High School and St. Monica Parish.

Detailed information about each of the 18 priests named can be found in the list can be found in this report.