-

-

irish insider

Irish add Abdur-Rahman, look to wrap up 2019 class

| Friday, September 14, 2018

Notre Dame is one step closer to completing its 2019 class after athlete Kendall Abdur-Rahman announced his commitment on Sunday. The four-star prospect, according to 247Sports, has played quarterback in high school but will play wide receiver at Notre Dame. Dave McKinney, recruiting analyst for Blue and Gold Illustrated, talked about the newest member of the 2019 class and explained that the position switch will take full advantage of Abdul Rahman’s skillset.

“That’s the 18th commitment [to the class], so spots are really starting to come at a premium,” McKinney said. “He was a guy we always thought was going to end up in the class. Notre Dame was the leader coming into his official visit for the Michigan game, and obviously they wrapped it up after that.”

“ … He’s speedy and versatile. He plays quarterback in high school — Notre Dame’s taking him as a wide receiver — but he’s an athlete that can play a lot of different positions. The versatility is what stood out about him to the coaches, and also his speed and the ability to make people miss and get to the second level of the defense. His high school coach told me recently that he’s the best player he’s ever coached with the ball in his hands, so he’s a playmaker who can make people miss.”

Zachary Yim | The Observer

Irish senior linebacker Te’von Coney chases down an opponent during Notre Dame’s 24-16 win over Ball State on Saturday at Notre Dame Stadium.

With just a couple of spots remaining in the 2019 class due to scholarship limitations, McKinney spoke about which final members the Irish are looking to add to their 2019 class, which is currently ranked No. 13 in the country, according to 247Sports.

“Guys like defensive end Bralen Trice, who has Notre Dame in his final three with Washington and Oregon — that’s a guy they really want,” McKinney said. “Offensive linemen Walter Rouse and Enokk Vimahi were both in town for the Michigan game. They’re still pushing for both those guys, but they definitely want at least one of them … but yes, they’re definitely filling up the class here early.”

While the Irish will aim to continue to attract high talent to campus for official visits, Notre Dame’s matchup against SEC opponent Vanderbilt will be the second quiet weekend in a row in terms of official visits by recruits, McKinnon said.

“It’s one of those smaller weekends — not a lot of guys,” he said.

Finally, McKinney discussed the potential impact of the Ball State game and whether or not it could have any effect on recruiting, given the unexpectedly close game the Irish played against the Cardinals.

“I don’t think there was much of an impact,” McKinney said. “Obviously they didn’t look fantastic against a team like Ball State that you expect they would blow out, but I think in the grand scheme of things that won’t be remembered … and won’t have an impact on recruiting, especially with the momentum they picked up in the Michigan win.”

About Joe Everett

Joe is a senior PLS major and hails from the thriving metropolis of South Bend, IN. In addition to serving as Sports Editor at The Observer, Joe is a RA in Stanford Hall and a past champion of the Observer's Fantasy Football league.

Contact Joe